Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #1

Another leaking penthouse roof

Hi, I have a 2001 Sportsmobile on a Dodge Ram base. I'm having significant leak problems in the penthouse roof. I might get a pint or a couple of pints coming in after a rainstorm. The water is coming out through the front light fixture and a hole in the front driver side where the electrical cable goes up to the roof. I'm not sure where the water is getting in. Some of the bolts and washers on the roof are rusted and there are a couple of small places on the roof which look as though they've been patched with silicone or something by a previous owner. I've been reading some of the posts on this forum about leaking and I'm kind of intimidated by the size of project that this looks like. I found the “Refinishing the PH Top (Raptor Liner)” thread and that looks like really good advice. Should I replace the bolts and washers, and can I get them at the local hardware store or can Sportsmobile supply them for me? Or is the inside of the penthouse roof likely to be rotted down after this time and the whole thing might need to be replaced at big cost? I'm just looking for advice at this stage.

(And is this the right place to ask this, or is there a better place to post?)

malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Another leaking penthouse roof

On mine, SMB didn't seal the electrical wires going to the solar very well and the water came out of the front roof light on the PH. Basically they just added silicon around the wires and put a little cap on the roof where the wires come out on top. They re-sealed it for me. Jage did a good write up about replacing the roof bolts. Did your top just start leaking?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

The roof has been leaking for a year or so. I haven't been camping and I've neglected it. I'm just hoping that the damp hasn't damaged the inside of the roof too much. I'm in San Diego, so there are long periods of time with no rain.

I'm trying to work out how big this project would be. It seems that I need:
New bolts, nuts and washers
butyl
Raptor liner

Should I replace the rubber gasket around the rim of the roof? It's 11 years old and looking a bit worn. Seems like I should try to replace everything I can if I'm really going to do this. Am I missing anything?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Only it would be nice to track down where the leak is coming from. Hopefully you don't have mold or dry rot.
At one time I was told SMB had a lifetime warranty on their tops so you might look into that but yes, I would do the whole top.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

Hi;

Malcolm I strongly second Dave's recommendation to search out Jage's write-up on a leaking roof.

I just swapped the entire roof over to another van and Jage's insight and suggestions are right on the money.

As for rot, well the top is fiberglass and the inside is lined with easily replaced veneer plywood in my case. I would fix the bolts ala Jage and then pull the roof interior down for an inspection.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, I wouldn't even think about doing this without knowing that there are guys in this forum who have done this before.

Yes, I found Jage's write-up and that looks excellent.

I looked in the owner's manual and it says "The Penthouse Top and sidewalls are covered against leaking for as long as you own the vehicle". I'm not sure whether they'll do anything for me as the third owner, but I guess it's always worth asking them.

Gavin, you suggested "pull the roof interior down for an inspection" after resurfacing the top. I looked at the roof and it seems as though I would have to take a whole lot of things apart, including all the bolts through the roof. Was that what you meant? Or is your penthouse top constructed differently?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #7

Hi;

Yes Malcolm there is a lot to pull down but if you prop the roof up on temporary posts at each corner you could remove portions of the inside of the roof one at a time to examine the bottom of the fiberglass top for water damage.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

Before I went to the trouble to take the penthouse apart, I would call Sportsmobile and talk about the lifetime warranty. If they will take care of it, let them. If you take it apart, they could blame your work for the leaks and not cover it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Team

I thought the lifetime warranty was for the original owner only? A call sure couldn't hurt though.

Herb
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

I emailed Sportsmobile and Alan was very helpful. He said that the lifetime warranty covered the penthouse but I hadn't told him that I'm not the original owner; I'd better do that.

It seems as though the leaking may be a design problem. The roof will be heated and cooled every day so the long bolts will expand and contract. After a few thousand cycles they'll squeeze and release the sealant enough that a hole will appear. I'm not sure how to solve that. Maybe regular inspection and re-sealing is the only way.

When I've taken out the bolts, should I be able to lift up the fibreglass shell and look under it for water damage? That might be easier than getting at it from the underside.