Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Anti-Theft Devices

I was going to post this in gcvt's recent SMB Stolen Last Night thread,* but I thought it might be of general interest.

There are some very good anti-theft devices discussed here including the Ravelco** and the Cyclops***:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13845 ... theft.html

But post #14 includes some very convincing videos advocating use of the "Trunk Monkey."

I know that someone recently posted some rocker switches with the Trunk Monkey option, but I never knew that the option actually existed or what it was good for until I watched the very informative Trunk Monkey Compilation video.

* viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16244
** http://www.ravelco.com/product.html
*** http://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Anti-Theft Devices

nice! there was a few in that vid i hadnt seen before. thanks for sharing

...bananas, bananas, bananas....lol
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Anti-carjacking device - Here is a silly video for a real product sold in South Africa . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_% ... thrower%29
Attached Thumbnails
flame-thrower-car-2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

I'm interested in alternatives.....apparently gassers do not have an IDM relay to remove or disable...

Are there other relays (like ECM maybe) that could be removed/depowered to thwart the thieves?

and there is always the fuel pump relay......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Never had it myself but I have seen quite a few folks online that love the ravelco system. Seems pretty robust and how they claim none of their systems have ever been stolen is a definite selling point.

http://www.ravelco.com/product.html
jtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Someone mention my name?

For starters, I'll be putting a Ravelco in whatever van I get next. Then I'd like to see if the motion detectors that 1der uses have enough range for my application.

That flamethrower thing should be legal in the US.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Boywonder: Gas options include the cyclops discussed here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92347 ... odule.html

http://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/

As a failsafe, I guess you could also hide away somewhere in the vehicle the relay which it replaces...

There are some other interesting ideas discussed in the ford-trucks link including adding a switch to the gas pump inertia cutoff switch. But really, I like the idea of replacing a relay with a switched relay and then keeping the original relay as a back up.

Because I am on this big kick that most of our electrical problems with our older vehicles is often with the wiring or its connectors and less likely with the components and the less I mess with the electrical wiring the better because knowing me, I am just introducing more potential failure points.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Someone mention my name?

For starters, I'll be putting a Ravelco in whatever van I get next. Then I'd like to see if the motion detectors that 1der uses have enough range for my application.
We park the vans on the street in front of our house. My wife found wireless motion detectors that have enough range (at least 70 ft). Detector is in the van pointed at the front/side doors. Alarm unit is by the front door and is loud enough it can be heard at the van and definitely in the house. Ravelco disables the ignition but does nothing for break in theft.

Btw - I found out after installing the Ravelco that some Tuners have a no-start selection. No codes required but if the tuner selector is hidden it may be a deterrent.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

Our van already has a basic alarm with a starter interlock. To step it up, I'd be more inclined to add serious pad locks, than any of the other systems that prevent starting. Particularly for a street parked van in SF.

I have simply pulled the fuel pump relay (or fuse, not sure which, both under the hood on the v10) when I've had to leave the van somewhere particularly sketchy for a couple of days. Not something you'd want to do all the time obviously.

Between the remote relay, and the revelco, I'd go with the remote relay every time. No real chance of messing up anything else, and easy to override if you need to, and know about it.

gcvt: Just saw your thread after the pointer here. That sucks! Good luck with the insurance!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Our van already has a basic alarm with a starter interlock. To step it up, I'd be more inclined to add serious pad locks, than any of the other systems that prevent starting. Particularly for a street parked van in SF.

I have simply pulled the fuel pump relay (or fuse, not sure which, both under the hood on the v10) when I've had to leave the van somewhere particularly sketchy for a couple of days. Not something you'd want to do all the time obviously.

Between the remote relay, and the revelco, I'd go with the remote relay every time. No real chance of messing up anything else, and easy to override if you need to, and know about it.

gcvt: Just saw your thread after the pointer here. That sucks! Good luck with the insurance!
Thanks. It's a huge PITA, but it'll work out.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote