Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Any Walmart overnighters here?

Have never stayed at a Walmart overnight, or a Flying J or any place other than a campground. Was wondering if its ok to raise the penthouse top? Or is it better to just leave the top down and sleep/rest that way. For us we have twin type beds in the back so dont need to raise the top other than just more convenient to walk around inside.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

Re: Any Walmart overnighters here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamrak
Have never stayed at a Walmart overnight, or a Flying J or any place other than a campground. Was wondering if its ok to raise the penthouse top? Or is it better to just leave the top down and sleep/rest that way. For us we have twin type beds in the back so dont need to raise the top other than just more convenient to walk around inside.
I think the need for stealth is much less in a truck stop like the flying J. There are rigs everywhere so being inconspicuous is not a big deal. Your biggest problem will probably be the generators and refers running all night on the trucks. They can be LOUD. I did a night at a truck stop along 395 recently and didn't hesitate to put up the top. For a walmart or anywhere I was more or less solo, I'd be more inclined to go stealth with the top down.
Rob
Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

You should always ask at Wal-mart, the company policy may be overshadowed by local ordinances, not that I haven't stealth camped in a few such Wal-mart lots (ironically the 3rd day when I'd moved on, I saw another camper ticketed by the local fuzz right where I and other people had been parking... oops!)

In Wal-mart parking lots you get a lot more cruisers and drive bys, and if there aren't at least a few other overnighters collected I'd be inclined to keep the top down. It's not a matter of stealth camping as much as noise and attention I don't want.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

I agree with Jage.
Both from my own experience going back and forth from TX to the SF Bay Area and from what I see here in the land of Winter Texans. The Walmart parking lots have gatherings of RV's and I would feel comfortable putting up the penthouse in their company. But, for me, as a solo woman, the truck stops are dicey. All guys, motors running all night, I just don't sleep as well there. I'd rather stealth my way, top down, into a church parking lot or just plain old introduce myself to the cops and park next to their headquarters or someplace they recommend.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #5

Dick and Anne ,
Try this web site for free overnight spots . Might be something that you are able to use .
www.freecampgrounds.com
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #6

I agree with Jage about asking at Wal Marts, there is also a list of no park Walmarts at http://www.roadnotes.com. This site also has lots of information if traveling the country.

http://www.roadnotes.com/info/sites/def ... lmarts.pdf

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
the local fuzz
Showing your age?
In my town the problem is trash type vehicles that try to live in the parking lot. It gives the good RV folks a bad name. They see a van and look at it differently than a 500K RV or semi. Some of the "fuzz" can't seem to tell the difference of a quality van like an SMB as compared to a crankster with a old van.

Fuzz...Ha. God I love those dirty Harry movies
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #8

We hit a few Wal-Marts on our recent trip (a first for us). We called ahead of time to make sure it was ok to park at each one as local law may dictate otherwise. We parked in the area of other RV-types. Popped the top each time (no choice), but I'd recommend against pulling out the lawn chairs, BBQ and water wings. Several things make Wal-Mart camping/parking a drag. First is the quy with the mini-truck parking lot vaccuum that will do his best to keep you awake all night. That thing is loud and I'm sure everyone of them has a radio with only talk-radios channels on it (and volume goes to 11). The other major drag is we didn't find a single 24/hr Wal-Mart on this trip (if they even have them any more). Nothing like doing the pee pee dance waiting for the Wal-Mart doors to open at 6-7AM. We also stayed at nice RV parks and hillbilly-squeal-piggy-boy RV parks. The latter were entertaining at least.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

deminimis ,
I hope in my lifetime that you will decide to run for President Of These United States Of America .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Porta Potti. It was a gift, but its a waste of space. Camp shovel takes up much less room.
What? Your camp shovel not work so good in the paved jungle?