Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Anyone willing to rent their Sportsmobile near UT or ID?

My wife and I have been contemplating (me drooling and dreaming) saving up for a new or buying a used Sportsmobile. We were hoping to take one out for a weekend to what what they were like and how we would want ours configured.

I have built multiple 4x4s for overlanding and rock crawling. Now our family is growing and one of these seems to fit the ticket.

I'd plan on making it worth your while and I would provide an insurance binder in case of any incident and or anything else that would make you more comfortable with the idea. I'd even be happy to have you follow along in my car. We'd really appreciate the opportunity if anyone is willing. I understand that these are very special vehicles and I'd plan on bringing it back in better condition than I found it in.

Please let me know if you'd be interested. Thanks!

Here is our current exploration rig

I've got an ARB fridge, 15gal water tank, solar charging system, lockers front and rear, awning, lots of lighting, and plenty of suspension and protection mods. It's great for my wife, son, and two dogs. But we're outgrowing it.

Here are a few of my previous builds, I didn't own the Mog, but I was heavily involved in setting it up for my friend/client.

This is a 2000 U500, client/friend replaced factory 42's with Oskosh HEMMIT 52" tires. Front cage tilted forward to allow cab to tilt forward. Spare was connected to an ATV winch at the top for a controlled slide and lifting. FRP box combined with aluminum housed a fixed table with seating for four, a king size bed, a 200gal water tank, granite counter tops, stainless steel sink, gas stove, diamond plate floor, DVD/stereo equip, etc.

Eventually the client blew a tire going too fast and rolled it on its side. No one was seriously hurt, except the Unimog which was totaled minus the camping unit.

The 95' Defender was my baby until it was clear I'd be having a baby. And the FJ was my practical solution for our family until the family outgrew it as well. The first picture was the last trip for the Defender and the first for the FJ.

Warnerd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Anyone willing to rent their Sportsmobile near UT or ID?

Its been asked before both here and on my site. I'm not saying that they're not out there, but I've only seen one place that rents SMB's and it was here in CA. I can't recall the site they offered the van on.
You might be able to rent something close like a GTRV/Westy...don't know.

It's kind of a personal thing most owners don't want to do. I'm surprised cause it could be a profit share kind of thing. My guess is how complex the rig is, liability, and letting your baby be used by others just isn't something that appeals to SMB owners.
I wish you luck. Post back if you find such a thing.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

That Unimog pic is hilarious! It's an awesome rig but next to the Miata in an apartment parking lot it's pretty funny. Imagine someone walking outside one morning and seeing that thing next to their car and thinking Bear Grylls had moved in next door!

BTW, I agree with Dave completely. As expensive as SMBs are I don't think it will be easy to find a volunteer, but it's certainly worth a try. You might have better luck just finding an owner to take you both out for a weekend.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
That Unimog pic is hilarious! It's an awesome rig but next to the Miata in an apartment parking lot it's pretty funny. Imagine someone walking outside one morning and seeing that thing next to their car and thinking Bear Grylls had moved in next door!

BTW, I agree with Dave completely. As expensive as SMBs are I don't think it will be easy to find a volunteer, but it's certainly worth a try. You might have better luck just finding an owner to take you both out for a weekend.

I like that idea as well. Again, we are relatively young and this would be a significant investment for us. I fully understand and appreciate the connection the role and relationship these types of vehicles can play in someone's lives. I was able to use that Unimog during the entire build process since I was coordinating it. My own vehicles are very near and dear to me and I take better care of them than I do myself (according to my wife)!

Again, we would appreciate anything that would help us experience and get a feel for what would work best for our family prior to taking the plunge.

I plan on having the vehicle professionally detailed after use as well as a generous rental fee for the willing. I could also offer services from one of our companies Freightliner Custom Chassis (Sport Chassis, RVs, etc) trained mechanics if needed.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #5

So a blowout destroyed the entire vehicle? Safety first!
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

80MPH for thousands of miles on 55MPH rated tires plus central tire inflation eventually equals disaster. The 52" tires made for a very high CoG. It went from 60MPH to zero in 40' once it tipped.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #7

Just pullin yer chain. But being heavily involved in such a fail should be eliminated from your résumé!
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Understood, he put the tires on himself and it was his call. The writing was on the wall, he just wanted to go fast and he paid for it.

They already had a high CoG with the factory tires and portal axles.

How would you suggest I find someone in Salt Lake or nearby areas to make a request? Do you know of anyone that might be interested?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Here and Expedition Portal? CL ad in bigger cities? (Lots of SMB folks search for SMB related media incessantly......how would I know that??)
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

I don't know about people renting but I'm sure someone would give a tour and let you sit in it under strict supervision of course.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote