Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Backup camera thoughts and suggestions!

Have been looking at camera options for a while now as I originally wanted to add 360 deg view on the van.A few options out there so now I am also looking at a wireless system for the rear and maybe adding more cameras down the road.
Anyone have experience with Tadi brothers or Rear View safety or are there others that I am not aware of that would be a good fit?
Also have the stock head unit so was looking at possibly upgrading to something that could possibly incorporate 4 cameras.
I noticed on earlier threads that the wireless options did not have that great a reputation and maybe someone can chime in with there experiences.
Thanks
Roger

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Garage
I dont have wireless but I have the typical rear view safety backup camera on my van and I like it. Shipped fast and showed up on time with everything I ordered.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Garage
I recently installed a three-camera system for my van. I'm quite happy with the results.

I originally considered a 360 degree system from Rear View Safety. In the end, I decided that I could get the vast majority of what I wanted with a simpler setup at less than half the cost, so I went that way.

My head unit has three camera inputs, so that was easy.

I have one rear view camera mounted on my pop top. I love it for backing up. It doesn't have quite as much night vision as I would like to have. At some point I might replace it with a different unit, but then again, I might just stick with what I have, and add a couple of additional backup lights instead.

I have one camera mounted under my passenger side mirror. It covers my blind spot, and more. It is awesome.

My third camera is mounted in the front grill. I don't use it as much as the other two, but I like it for tight parking spots and other situations where I need to be extra sure that there is nothing in front of me (kids, tricycles, kitty cats...)

All of my cameras are wired. Personally, I would not go wireless because of the loss of quality. Running the wires was not a big deal, but it took a little bit of thinking, and was time consuming. It took two of us most of a day to get it done. There are still a few fine-tuning details that I'll add to the installation, but it is really nice as-is. Overall, this was a very fun and satisfying project.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #4

I recently installed a 3 camera system from Rear View Safety. I have 2 wired side cameras that are mounted right above the driver's and passengers doors and a rear third brake light camera in the back (wired). I installed a 7" split screen monitor on the far left of the dash so I can see all the camera views anytime with a glance (great for changing lanes, etc.). I used all wired cameras which is a little more difficult for installation but is a much better and more reliable system. It works very well for me.

The equipment from Rear View Safety is very high quality. I was surprised how heavy and well built everything was. The side cameras are a little better quality than the third brake light camera as I expected but it was an easier installation with the third brake light camera compared to a rear box camera. The only minor issue I have had is that in bright sunlight, the screen is a little harder to see. I use the included plastic screen shade which helps this quite a bit.

I would highly recommend Rear View Safety and would do this again in a heartbeat. It wasn't even very expensive and works much better than the backup and side cameras that came in my other cars.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Garage
This topic has surfaced more than once. Dont have much experience with brand options, but will suggest from experience (Glider also mentioned in an earlier reply) you mount the back-up camera with the 3rd brake light (high up with the Pop top)
I have the licence plate camera which works fine, but I find myself always second guessing my position because it doesn't take into account the rear bumper storage box or spare tire.
Plus (in my opinion) the higher view is more revealing than the low mounted counterparts
Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

And if you mount to the top, you can raise the Penthouse at a campground and spy on people all around you from a high vantage point! ;-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Appreciate all the responses,I can see there are probably a few challenges with the wiring and that was why I was considering wireless.
Even with the wireless you need power to the camera so I guess either way I would be pulling wire which is not one of my favorite occupations.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Garage
Wiring is really not that big a deal. Just takes patience and a little bit of thinking.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #9

Does anyone have a wired camera that they particularly like? I've currently got an Esky EC170-06 installed, and am thinking of upgrading. The Esky has so-so night vision and suffers from terrible glare. (Edit: it's also dirt cheap, and for the price it's amazing.)

IIRC there's a pioneer that might be a candidate.

Of course all camera's benefit from a quick wipe with a cloth every so often.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #10

If anyone has pics of there camera positions, would definitely like to see them.