Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #21

Here's a picture of mine, which is mounted in the stock license plate cubby at the top:

The point of view is a compromise between seeing the hitch and being useful for backing down a trail.

The camera is super tiny and at this point 4 years old. It seems the glare issue is just getting worse and worse. I in fact have a larger, newer, though also generic camera with the same field of view on order.

The lines are generated by the camera, I'm skipping them now that I'm doing this over. They add nothing. The text is generated by the head unit and is on this one non-configurable. Also something I'd change in the future if I swap out that head unit.

Edit: Here's a picture of how the camera is mounted:

I feel like I can see the element that's yellowing in that picture. Sigh.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #22

Greg or Glider any pics of how you wired your rear camera.
I received my camera and monitor yesterday and was able to mount the monitor today,but am now trying to figure out how to bring the wire from the rear camera to the front.
Looks like I will mount the camera the same as Scalf(Greg) has done it and then I am figuring that I drill a hole just below the rear brake light feeding the wire through that and either running it along the outside of the top canvas toward the passenger B pillar or bring it directly it in at the rear brake light under the canvas as they have done with the brake light wiring and then head towards the B pillar on the inside.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Roger
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #23

I ran the camera wire along the same path as the brake light, under the canvas and into the Van and down the conduit for the brake light. I then hide it behind the upper side trim and ran it to the front.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #24

Thanks Greg,much appreciated.I figure I will do the same thing!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I ran the camera wire along the same path as the brake light, under the canvas and into the Van and down the conduit for the brake light. I then hide it behind the upper side trim and ran it to the front.

-greg
Yup. That's almost exactly what I did.
  • Under the canvas, into the van.
  • Down the conduit for the brake light.
  • Then through the van's original metal roof (I drilled the hole between the lower line of attachment for the canvas, and the channel for the penthouse lift spring)
  • This got me into a void under the roof, outboard of the springs.
  • I ran the wire forward in that void up as far as the barn doors.
  • From there, I dropped it down, keeping it above the headliner, and ran it, tucked above the headliner, up to the A pillar.
  • Then down the A pillar, and home free.

I can probably get some pics this weekend if that is helpful.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #26

Glider thanks for your input ,makes a lot more sense now that I have had a closer look to how all the parts fit together.Now it is a matter of doing the install and getting it up and running.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #27

Ya know I have a backup camera too. All I ever see is my gas cans on top of my storage box. WORTHLESS I guess I'm just old school(or just old) but when I was truckin we had a sticker on our mirror that said-G.O.A.L. If I can look behind a 70 ft vehicle why is it so hard to GET OUT AND LOOK behind a 22ft van? Doesn't take any high tec at all,just a little effort
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #28

Recently I installed a wireless rear view camera.It has high image effect,strong lens and long transmission distance,wide viewing angle of 120 degrees which eliminates all the blind spots.It's a great experience.
lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Recently I installed a wireless rear view camera.It has high image effect,strong lens and long transmission distance,wide viewing angle of 120 degrees which eliminates all the blind spots.It's a great experience.
I'd love see pics of the quality. I'm sure technology is catching up but the wireless ones I've seen have been pretty useless. I stopped looking at them several years ago though.

Of the 4 or 5 combinations I've tried the tiny Esky camera and BOYO monitors I found on Amazon have been the most crisp. Like HD crisp, better than TV, better than 3D, better than bacon. Kinda makes me want to live in the past.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
... better than bacon...
Damn, that's good!