Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

basic compressor accessories?

Basic question from a compressor newbie: what accessories, specifically, will I want to go w my onboard air?

My anticipated uses:
1) blowing out the water lines for winter storage. I have a chuck for the water input but nothing else yet.

2) airing up tires.

I just got an ARB on-board compressor, the mid-range one. I didn't read the fine print but was surprised that it didn't come with a hose, let alone chuck or anything.
So, the opportunity is to optimize this. Can you recommend what I need?
ARB has a kit:
https://www.arbusa.com/air-compresso...r-accessories/
but it's only 20' long (I'd guess it would just stretch to the rear wheels when compressor is mounted under the hood, but maybe I'd want a little more length to get around the back for as yet unknown reasons?)
Also, some of these hoses warn against cold weather use, I'll need one that's solid for that purpose. And I have no ideas what fittings I'll want.
Picked up an ARB deflator as well, but not tied that if there are better ones.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

At a minimum, tire air chuck w/clip, air hose (I like the plastic yellow pre-coil ones), a valve stem removal tool, tire plug kit, and a tire pressure gauge.

If you plan to do a lot of serious offroading, basically nicer versions of the above list, deflate valves are a nice addition I've been thinking about (but I'm cheap).
Old 12-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

I just put together this portable set up with power pole connectors using a monoprice hard case for my trip to baja. Pretty happy with it. I"ve got a 5 gallon tank under the van that I will connect it to as needed.

I purchased the Arb digital Air chuck and the hose kit along with it over black friday and basically paid for just the compressor and got the chuck and kit for free.

For airing down the arb digital chuck works great. I just connect it to my tire without connecting it to my compressor and get a reading on the pressure and depress the handle to release air. Super quick for airing down.

Also apparently the arb compressors get super hot and will melt hoses that are not designed for higher heat levels so be sure to get a decent hose if you don't buy the arb hose kit which is rated for higher temps.
Attached Thumbnails
compressor.jpg  
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
air hose (I like the plastic yellow pre-coil ones)
I'm using one of those. The last time I used it to air back up, I was left wondering if it's not part of what's slowing down the initial dump out of my tank. I'll likely cut a larger hose to length next spring.

Probably not an issue for anyone without a tank.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I carry a couple of hoses. I can hook up to the air tank under the van but it's kind of a PITA to reach and insert the hose so I had another one in the winch box. I always put a plastic cap over the female connection to keep mud and dirt out. I found some of the coiled hoses have a different diameter coil and I can store the smaller hose inside the larger one. One hose will work but I don't want to stretch it too tight plus if one fails I do have a backup. I have valve deflators that help but my ARB pressure gauge has a inflator/deflator mode that gets used often.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks all.

Is there any reason I will want a tank? For occasional tire inflation and blowing out water lines it hardly seems necessary, but want to make sure I'm not avoiding oppotutnies to future proof my rig.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

I also carry a blow off gun. Comes in handy for blowing the dust off the back doors before opening them. 3/4” diameter rubber cane tips are great for covering the female quick connects.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Team

One 'danger' of the coiled hoses is that they invariably want to contact your hot exhaust system under your rig as you stretch it out around the tires.

That said, a quality coiled hose, such as from Power Tank, is lightyears ahead of any cheapy coiled hose from places like Harbor Freight. There is no comparison.

Herb
Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
Is there any reason I will want a tank? For occasional tire inflation and blowing out water lines it hardly seems necessary, but want to make sure I'm not avoiding oppotutnies to future proof my rig.
It takes a lot of air to bring 33" tires up to 65 or even 70psi. Being able to turn on the compressors before you get back to pavement gives a head-start on the time it takes to air back up.

My van came with an old tank for the mast, so I just re-used it. They aren't expensive, but plumbing it all together is a bit of work.

I wouldn't bother getting one unless you find you are regularly spending more time airing up than you'd like to be.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Also, based on a bunch of reviews on line atleast for the arb twin compressor, there have reports of the heat generated by the compressor melting cheap plastic hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
One 'danger' of the coiled hoses is that they invariably want to contact your hot exhaust system under your rig as you stretch it out around the tires.

That said, a quality coiled hose, such as from Power Tank, is lightyears ahead of any cheapy coiled hose from places like Harbor Freight. There is no comparison.

Herb
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote