Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #21

Re: Bathrooms...

Thanks everyone. Definitely heard some things I hadn't considered.

Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #22

Just used my van 80 miles one way to UCLA and back at 2 AM to drop off my eldest. It sure was nice to have my trusty Thetford curve. No bushes,no cops, no indecent exposure charges pending. Look on you tube for my omage to the Curve.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #23

This thread is timely as I popped in shortly after working on my Design Your Own Sportsmobile on their website. I love my current SMB RB50 penthouse and have used it over the past 8 years as a daily driver, for camping and road trips. Over the years I've learned what I need and don't need for this point in my life. My main desire for another SMB design is #1 ~ A shower #2 ~ A permanent hightop.

I want to go "part timing" more often (3-6 weeks at a time), taking one dog and leaving hubby at home (he still works and I am retired). Though I don't really mind campground showers, I no longer want to be limited to them. And I want to do a little dry camping ... so want the convenience of everything I need being inside and onboard. Pit/sponge baths are not my thing - even a little trickle shower is preferable to me.

My 24" x 39" shower design won't have a sink or fixed toilet. I use a Luggable Loo which sits in an ottoman that also holds all related supplies. Yes, I am a bucket user as one person said , but I prefer that to the PP. And looking for bathrooms whilst on the road is not an option for this gal with a tiny bladder. Folks that can 'hold on' while finding adequate facilities are at a stage in their life that I have long passed. I often just pull over to a private area when needed and use my onboard potty.

My new shower design will also work as extra storage - it will hold my Loo, a removable hanging rack for overflow clothes or coats and possibly a small portable washing machine (Panda, Wonder Wash, etc). All those items will be easily pulled out when showering. Without a fixed sink and toilet, it will be a tad more spacious when showering and for storage. Anyway, that's the plan. I plan to meet with SMB this summer to go over the total design to build next year in the new Ford Transit.

We all have our camping and travel styles. Thank goodness Sportsmobile can give us what we want to meet our goals!
cjloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #24

Since you don't already have one built-in, you'll deal.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, consider that in some areas digging your own latrine or cat holes is forbidden; many places now require some sort of human waste system even when boondocking. You might even be required to show them you've got such a system.

I have used boating systems; there are some toilet systems that fit in a rocket box (a big metal air tight container) with a seat that fits on top; a little taller than a regular toilet. Or smaller ones for kayak use. I've found that using wag bags is great; less mess and they're easier to carry.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #25

Bathrooms...

Here's our setup.

-Thetford 465 electric flush potty with leather cover for storage (wife loves not having to leave the rig in the middle of the night)
-setup shower tent behind rig when at camp
-110v 2.5 water heater powered by our Honda eu2000 (nice to have the option of preheating water and having it stored in the tank for later use)
-Bullfinch hot/cold mixer dial and shower hose

FYI we added all this soon after buying our used rig.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #26

Our layout is based on a Chev. extended van with a center isle. I don't think putting a bathroom at the back sacrificed very little space, if any. We both love having a permanent bathroom, it is very convenient. It does not have a shower though. For a van shower we have to set up a Sun Shower and shower curtains.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote