Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #21

Just to expand on using this system to winterize the van. I don't like to have RV antifreeze in my water heater or my freshwater tank so I use a combination of blowing out the lines with an air compressor and then using the siphon hose system to fill the rest of the water lines with antifreeze using the Shurflo pump.

First I drain the water heater and then close off the water heater with the water heater bypass valves. Then I drain the freshwater tank. Then I attach my air compressor to the outside water fill tap and pressurize the system to 40-45 psi or so and open each faucet (sinks, toilet and shower) to remove most of the water from the lines.

Then I remove the air compressor and bring a gallon of RV antifreeze into the van and place my siphon hose into it. Then I close off the valve from the freshwater tank to the pump and open the valve to my siphon hose. Then I turn on my Shurflo pump and open each faucet individually to let the pump fill each line with antifreeze. The difference between this and filling the freshwater tank with water is that I don't open the rear main freshwater tank valve so no antifreeze goes into the freshwater tank. Again, this system is fast and convenient and uses minimal antifreeze.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #22

I set something up similar to this and quite happy with it as it's super clean easy to fill. Scepter sells a hose/spout for their military water cans that screws on to where the small threaded cap thread. My Tank has a long hose for filling with brass quick connects. I just replaced the end of the scepter hose spout with a plastic quick connect and can quickly connect to the fill hose on my tank and fill up with no water spilling at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
My method when I had my SMB:
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #23

For those of you with a "newer" SMB like my 2010, or snomad's 2012, SMb went away from the gravity flow system to one that uses a 2-way valve and the water pump. See his post #2709 at
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post228614
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote