Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

Re: Best Roadside Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
TL;DR: avoid NorCal AAA. It's all in the posts cited above, and apparently still applies.
I'm not sure if they changed their policy, but this is what CSAA states:

"AAA Classic and Plus Members:
Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type are eligible for all Emergency Road Service services, provided they are not loaded, altered or constructed in such a way as to make servicing the vehicle hazardous."

Now, I guess there is some room for interpretation about the 'provided they are not' clause, but they do specifically state 'four-wheeled...vehicles of the...recreational type' as included in the regular 'classic' membership.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Does anyone know if "emergency road service" vehicle insurance coverage options, such as State Farm, is a better way to go. And how do they work? For example, do you find your own tow provider and file a claim for reimbursement?
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Does anyone know if "emergency road service" vehicle insurance coverage options, such as State Farm, is a better way to go. And how do they work? For example, do you find your own tow provider and file a claim for reimbursement?
It's just insurance. If you are local, and your agent is open, they may make arrangements for you. Some will allow after-hours direct billing with their preferred provider. For the most part however, plan on calling and paying on your own, and submitting for reimbursement. I find its good supplementary coverage since its so cheap.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
TL;DR: avoid NorCal AAA. It's all in the posts cited above, and apparently still applies.
I'm not sure if they changed their policy, but this is what CSAA states:

"AAA Classic and Plus Members:
Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type are eligible for all Emergency Road Service services, provided they are not loaded, altered or constructed in such a way as to make servicing the vehicle hazardous."

Now, I guess there is some room for interpretation about the 'provided they are not' clause, but they do specifically state 'four-wheeled...vehicles of the...recreational type' as included in the regular 'classic' membership.
Where is the cutoff between central cal and nor-cal? I've never had an issue when towed off Sonora Pass. But I can sure understand the policy. When they ask what type of vehicle I have, I tell them a Ford E350 that requires a tow truck that can handle a 10,000 pound vehicle even though it's slightly heavier. I always suggest a lowboy truck but rarely get one. I had my van flat bedded to Visalia and was very worried when I saw it loaded. I just knew it was going to hit a low bridge being it sat so tall. Just think about a Earthroamer or Unimog

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #15

FWIW - your AAA coverage follows you, so the coverage differences by region won't affect what they'll do, however it can result in a delay while they wait for billing approval. Also, there's some circumstances where you might have to pay for overages above the region's coverage, and get reimbursed by your home region. This could happen if you flag down a truck directly and there's no phone service, or a regional office otherwise can't be contacted at the time of service.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

Interesting; the AAA terms mention RV+. I see it listed in the membership terms. But if you go into the "join" part of the NorCal website there's no option for purchasing RV+. And I was told by Oakland that my van was an RV and hence potentially ineligible for a tow. I figured even if the office is wrong, who needs the hassle? some tow contractor could decline me if it's ambiguous.

But in regards to area, there's this:

Quote:
Plus RV Member benefits as relating to service for Recreational Vehicles is only available in Northern California, Nevada and Utah. To the extent that a Plus RV Member requests Recreational Vehicle services from outside of these areas and such Recreational Vehicle services are not available, AAA will reimburse such Plus RV Member for covered services at the current commercial rate for the region.
So they must sell RV+ in NorCal, no? I couldn't reach 'em by phone to clarify that.

SoCal says:

Quote:
RV/MOTORCYCLE TOWING AND RV TIRE CHANGE
Members who purchase Optional RV and Motorcycle Roadside Assistance are entitled to an additional four (4) Roadside Assistance service calls or
reimbursements for RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service per household per membership year. The tow benefit for RV and Motorcycle
members is up to 100 driving miles per disablement provided the calls meet the conditions described in this guide. If RV or motorcycle towing or
RV tire change service is obtained from a service provider outside the AAA network, you may need to pay for service and submit a request for
reimbursement. (See REIMBURSEMENT, page 4.) These benefits apply to any eligible RV or motorcycle you own, borrow or rent. Members with this
optional service are also entitled to extrication/winching service for RVs and motorcycles under the conditions outlined below under EXTRICATION/
WINCHING SERVICE. After the household has reached the fourth RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service call or reimbursement in a
membership year, additional RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service requests will be provided on a Cash On Delivery (COD) basis, with
all charges payable by the member directly to the AAA Roadside Assistance service provider at the time of service. The Auto Club will
not reimburse members for COD calls over the four call limit. In the event that service is rendered by the Auto Club after the fourth call or
reimbursement per household in a membership year, you may be assessed a service charge fee. The nonpayment of a service charge may result in
cancellation of membership.
SoCal doesn't seem to have the area restriction of NorCal, except for the rental car benefit. And there is different language re RV in the eligible vehicle area; see http://www.calif.aaa.com/content/dam/cl ... ide_CA.pdf
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

....I've got the max towing package AAA has (Premier) mainly because I pull a trailer at times and only the premier card covers RV's in California.
This is what I have and so far have not any issues:
http://www.aaa.com/aaa/045/pioneer/memb ... nefits.htm
http://www.aaa.com/aaa/045/pioneer/memb ... remier.pdf

I haven't used it lately but within the last 3 years I've been towed with no issues in Sonora, Bakersfield and Nevada. Not sure if I'm in Nor-Cal, some call it Central-Cal

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
within the last 3 years I've been towed with no issues in Sonora, Bakersfield and Nevada
This may be a ridiculous question, but: towed 3+ times in 3 years? That seems like a very lot. May I ask why you've needed so many?

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock
Quote:
within the last 3 years I've been towed with no issues in Sonora, Bakersfield and Nevada
This may be a ridiculous question, but: towed 3+ times in 3 years? That seems like a very lot. May I ask why you've needed so many?

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock
Quote:

At the same time, I will say Dave takes his SMB places that probably 80-90% of SMB owners never take theirs.

Herb