Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Garage
Bigger Amp Alternator

G,day,

Does anyone have a bigger alternator in their SMB?

What are the Pro's & Con's?

Which one do you have and what size?

Cheers, Doug

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Bigger Amp Alternator

I've had one of these for several years: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Ford~E-3 ... 70-xp.html

Works great. I ran a 1/0 cable to the starter to make full use of it. Installation was a pain as getting the upper intercooler pipe around it required a longer 45 degree elbow off the turbo, and I can only use one of the mounting ears on said pipe.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

I have the slightly lesser amperage alternator as Zeta. Mine, however, was plug and play with upgraded wiring of course.

Nice to see 13+ volts almost immediately upon startup after the glow plugs draw the starting batteries down.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

This is a really good read for tips on alternators as well as a vendor for DCpower. http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/pag ... /cat13.htm

My alternator thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10221
Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Nations is selling an XP-270 with a lower max set point voltage. The one I bought two years ago fits in a standard case and required just some slight grinding at the base.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Nations is selling an XP-270 with a lower max set point voltage. The one I bought two years ago fits in a standard case and required just some slight grinding at the base.

daveb & others,

Are you happy with your nations alternator?

They talk about 5 groove belt. Will my 2008 Ford e350 diesel 6.0 be 5 groove belt?

I looked at Nations web site a few days ago, but am checking further, before committing?

The bigger output alternator appears to have a much higher output at lower revs than standard alt?

Look forward to your input)s) please?

Cheers, Doug.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
The bigger output alternator appears to have a much higher output at lower revs than standard alt?

Cheers, Doug.
For me, that's the whole idea in a nutshell. I can re-charge my house battery in 20 min of idle. I don't have solar panels.

This is the one I was considering from Nations before I went with a DCpower. It's a direct fit but you'll probably still want an additional wire to carry the extra current. http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com ... %20190.htm

And I'm pretty sure the higher output options from Nations are made by DCpower.
http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com ... 00-spx.htm
Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for DCpower but another reason I went with the XP series over the SPX is the rectifier is laser welded and has a hairpin design stator and better technology. You can read about the two the alternators technologies here (hit the Read More Button):
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-output- ... ators.html
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-output- ... ators.html

With the large electrical accessory load our rigs have (ie, extra house battery, inverter, refrigerator, bitchin stereo) as well as external air compressor to air up the tires and winch, there is little question that the stock 110A OEM was not really up to the task. I’d rather have an alternator that is hardly working than one that is working all the time.

The only thing you need to do for a higher output alternator is add on to the charging system which is 3 cables from the alternator to the battery. You don't need to remove your existing cables. The other bonus that I alluded to earlier is that by upgrading the power leads from from the alternator to the battery and not just the starter, it allows the alternator to begin charging the batteries immediately upon startup rather than having to wait for the glow plugs to turn off before charging is allowed as with the stock set up.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

I just installed the DC Power, I didn't modify or add any power cables in the end. It's so much nicer, but then my last alternator was toast.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14465&hilit=+alternator
Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

Garage

G'day,
What will my Ford e350 2008 6.0 diesel current Alternator belt be, 5 or 8 groove belt, please?