Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #11

JoeH,
I like that setup, I would need it hold about 130 lbs. What is that set up rated?

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
Russell,

A note on the 1ups. They're a great bike rack but loading them when installed on top of a box can be cumbersome. Its just not easy to do alone. The other cautionary tale is the corners of the rack are sharp and will sit around head level when elevated like they are in the picture. Difficult to see at night. I speak from experience when I say that can ruin your day.

This x2! I have two mounted very similar to the Aluminess bumper. I bought a black pool noodle online, and split one side length wise. ANYTIME I'm leaving the swing arm open, I place 18" pieces over each side of the long end of the bike racks, and secure them with velcro straps. It's saved me more than once as it's right at my eye level. When not in use, I store the noodle pieces on the bars of the swing arm behind the spare. I made slits in the back of the noodle pieces to thread the velcro through, so I don't have to keep up with them. Easy peasy. Took about 10 minutes.
brushogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Just find a way to do 1up and be happy bikes don’t get damaged. The only thing to watch is the peddles hitting the other bike frame.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Never put my 1-ups on the hitch mount—had Yaks and Thules there but too much work, esp. for my 5’2” spouse. Taping the ends makes sense.

Bought my first 1-up 4 or 5 years ago as a hitch mount on the front of the van. I’ve watched the bikes for 30,000 miles and the rack is bomber as JoeH says. Now own a hitch mount for my 4Runner, replacing a Yakima swing out, and bought two rooftop units for the new Chaser trailer last fall. I guess you could say I’m sold on the product. And the people. Every contact I’ve had with them has been positive.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
JoeH,
I like that setup, I would need it hold about 130 lbs. What is that set up rated?
Weight limit is 150lb which can quickly be exceeded if carrying a generator, etc. That's what Kenny at Aluminess told my a year or two ago at the Overland Expo. I'm close to that with two 30lb bikes, three water jugs, and a Solaire Grill in the box.

Lots of 1Up discussion in this thread. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ads-12220.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #16

I assume that most people that are looking at 1up are aware of the Quick-Rack Mach 2 as well?

https://quikrack.com/

My understanding is that this was started by the original designer of the rack that's sold by 1up. (Google it if you want to dig deeper into the situation...)

When I checked last fall they still had backorder into spring, so I don't know if they're even available yet. Timing meant I ended up ordering 1up van trays (for use inside) instead, but the Mach 2 has some nice features/upgrades.

My main complaint about the 1up racks is the lack of security (locking) features. I prefer to carry my bikes inside my van, and the van trays work great for that, but I know that's not an option for most. If you go with a hitch rack, I highly recommend looking at something like the Thule T2 XT. I have a much older version (918XT w/ fat tire trays) that I use one my other vehicles, and it's nice to have at least a built-in deterrent from casual theft when you stop for a post-ride meal, etc.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I assume that most people that are looking at 1up are aware of the Quick-Rack Mach 2 as well?

https://quikrack.com/

My understanding is that this was started by the original designer of the rack that's sold by 1up. (Google it if you want to dig deeper into the situation...)

When I checked last fall they still had backorder into spring, so I don't know if they're even available yet. Timing meant I ended up ordering 1up van trays (for use inside) instead, but the Mach 2 has some nice features/upgrades.

My main complaint about the 1up racks is the lack of security (locking) features. I prefer to carry my bikes inside my van, and the van trays work great for that, but I know that's not an option for most. If you go with a hitch rack, I highly recommend looking at something like the Thule T2 XT. I have a much older version (918XT w/ fat tire trays) that I use one my other vehicles, and it's nice to have at least a built-in deterrent from casual theft when you stop for a post-ride meal, etc.

Yes, they had a falling out but I thought the alternative rack came out a year or two ago. Maybe they've been in litigation? Anyhow the pic of quikrak with the cheapy Walmart bike on it makes it look cheesy.

As for locking features on the 1up I find the wheel locks quite handy. Much easier that stringing cables through the frames and seems like a decent theft deterrent to me. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks/
Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Yes, they had a falling out but I thought the alternative rack came out a year or two ago. Maybe they've been in litigation? Anyhow the pic of quikrak with the cheapy Walmart bike on it makes it look cheesy.
Agreed, but who am I to judge?
Quote:
As for locking features on the 1up I find the wheel locks quite handy. Much easier that stringing cables through the frames and seems like a decent theft deterrent to me. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks/
Cool, I didn't know about those.

Downside is that it's another thing to keep track of (rather than being integrated), plus you still can't lock the rear wheel through the frame from what I can tell--but on my Thule, the rear wheel isn't even locked unless I use the cable from the opposite tray.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Agreed, but who am I to judge?

Cool, I didn't know about those.

Downside is that it's another thing to keep track of (rather than being integrated), plus you still can't lock the rear wheel through the frame from what I can tell--but on my Thule, the rear wheel isn't even locked unless I use the cable from the opposite tray.

That's true, they're not integrated. I just keep them in my aluminess box. If I'm in an area of high concern I run a cable through everything as well. At times I might have $20,000 worth of bikes on the back of my rig. The trays are the weak link. They make a lock for the hitch mount but one could simply unbolt the trays from the aluminess bars.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post

That’s my understanding, too. A falling out and the new operation proved more complex to start than was expected. Probably some disagreements between the two sides over url’s and marks as well. The folks at the original 1UP are quiet about details, sticking to a Midwestern politeness. They seem to have weathered the split. We’ll see how the competitor does.

I also use the 1UP locks. I add a heavy chain when the paranoia meter pegs. if you buy multiple locks at the same time they have the same key, which is convenient. And, they’re quite easy to put on and take them off.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, econoline, ford 350, ford e-series, quigley