Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
Depends on your style of outdoorsy. I'm still mostly a pavement pounder so the factory jack with a 2 ton floor jack, a few wood blocks and campsite levelers will get me out of anything I'd be up against. YMMV
Thanks for your response,

I am primarily an off roader, comfortable getting 100+ miles down unmaintained dirt roads doing dispersed camping in USFS and BLM.

So, after looking at the 2 ton floor jack. I was not exactly comfortable that it would do the job to stably lift a fully loaded SM Ford Van with gear and multiple weeks of supplies.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

What is the recommend jack height to change a tire on a Ford E250 Sportsmobile?

Still investigating, I am curious about Agile OffRoad's Off Road Scissor Jack w/ Axle & Frame Adaptor, but the price is high.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
Still investigating, I am curious about Agile OffRoad's Off Road Scissor Jack w/ Axle & Frame Adaptor, but the price is high.

That's what I'm carrying and it has saved me twice so far (4x4 on 35's). I think the Agile adapter is definitely worth the money, but you should be able to find the jack on eBay for less money. I got my jack for $80 including shipping (believe it was new over stock).
Old 08-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
Thanks for your reply

I am very curious of your final jack configuration.
  1. What is your 6 ton bottle jack and why did you not buy Safe Jack's Omega 6 Ton Bottle Jack?
  2. Have you found any your purchased jack accessories unnecessary?
  3. Would you recommend getting both 6 Ton 3" Universal Lift Pad and 6 Ton 5" Universal Lift Pad
To me a bottle jack is a bottle jack. Wanted to save some money on the cost of the jack and the shipping.
The only parts I have not used is the flat pad. Cannot see where it would be used under the van. The base is new so have not used it yet either.
You do not need both 3” and 5” pads. If I was doing it again I would only get the 5”.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I lift My e250 with 33s and a 4in lift using the stock jack and a wood block. I just had all 4 wheels off the ground on a dirt road with no problems. A hydraulic jack would probably pump up easier than the stock Jack goes up, but the stocker does the job, and it's probably lighter than most alternatives.
Interesting... what does the stock jack look like? The OEM jack that came with my 1990 E150 wasn't even able to lift the stock van.

I could see using a wood block to raise the jack - maybe with a routed recess to make sure it doesn't slip. That could be bad.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #16

Garage
I concur with the others that recommend the H1 Hummer jack in concert with the Agile Off Road adapter plate. I got the H1 jack off Ebay and saved a little cash that way. If you just go with this setup you'll never question your choice afterwards.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #17

I carry two Jack's. One is a m1 scissor jack. Makes tire changes save and easy https://agileoffroad.com/product/h1-3-5-ton-scissor-jack/

I also carry a highlift with the floor plate and several accessories. If you get hung up you can't always get a jack under the van.
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #18

After watching a bottle jack punch through the plywood I had under it, on a sandy shoulder, just as I was getting the first nut back on, I resolved not to put myself into that situation again. I don't think I've ever hand spun three nuts into place that quickly.

For one. I'll never use plywood again under a jack. For another I found the jack to be less stable than I wanted it to be under the rear axle.

So I now carry a Powerbuilt Alltrade 640912:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ll-in-one-jack

I've used it once on the road since, and it's been fine. My van is under 8500 lbs ready to camp and I'm only lifting one corner with it.

It's a bit large to carry, but I feel much more confident about it than I did about the bottle jack.

If I hand't found that unit, I would have welded a cradle to the top of my bottle jack and started carrying a metal plate to put under it.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

That's a beauty
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
So I now carry a Powerbuilt Alltrade 640912:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ll-in-one-jack

My van is under 8500 lbs ready to camp and I'm only lifting one corner with it.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
  1. This is a 3-ton jack, are you fine with that since your van is over 4 tons?
  2. Yes, this jack is dimensions are awkward for storing it within an SMB. Where are you storing it?

Tags
jack