Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

I have that same window on my trailer. I'll try to find an ID tag tonight.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #12

Greg, WTF? You have the worst luck with vans, so sorry man. Have you checked with Ray about CLR windows? Hopefully, this stupidity ends now, best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Greg, WTF? You have the worst luck with vans, so sorry man. Have you checked with Ray about CLR windows? Hopefully, this stupidity ends now, best of luck.
You're tellin' me man! I'm gonna try to take it apart and have a pane made. Robb also sent me a link to a full window assembly on eBay for $55 ($92 w/shipping) that looks like it would work. I looked at CRL but couldn't find an 18"x15".

I was at work today with limited tools as I was trying to get all the screws out. I stopped by Robb's on the way home and we managed to get the five remaining screws out of the inner trim ring. Getting the trim ring out was another matter as the van walls were installed over the "lip" on the ring. Thanks SMB! Then we found two more screws in the window tracks.

Needless to say, the window didn't just pop out on it's own. We started in with pocket knives, razor blades, etc. Before we knew it, we were both bleeding profusely so we called it a day.

I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can get the window out. My next brilliant idea is a putty knife and propane torch. What could possibly go wrong?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #14

Update:

My idea to get the window out actually worked far better than I expected. I used a propane torch to heat up my 7-in-1 painters tool and it cut through the butyl tape like butter. Bonus was that it left most of the butyl on the window frame and not on the van.

Local glass shop was gonna be about $180, and take a few days, to make me a piece of tinted tempered glass. I hit up Tap Plastics and they cut me a piece of tinted acrylic for under $28.00 within 20 minutes.

While I was waiting for the acrylic to be cut, I texted 1der/Ray because I thought I remembered him saying he had some butyl tape at home or knew where to get some locally. He said he had a roll at home so 20 minutes later I was at Ray's house. THANKS RAY!! I owe ya one man.

So, I'll try to get it all back together tomorrow. I may need to ask Robb or Ray for a second set of hands. As tight as the inner trim ring fits, I suspect that the window may not sit well enough in the opening to allow me to get the trim ring on from the inside. We'll see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7819.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	26921

Name:	IMG_7820.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	26922

Name:	IMG_7822.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	26923

Name:	IMG_7821.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	26924
Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 AM   #15

Garage
Next time you might consider using polycarbonate (lexan) for your window replacements. Acrylic sheet is not as strong and will shatter like glass. Polycarbonate will not shatter but only comes in clear or a gray tint which wouldn't match your other windows.

My friend Rick bought a sheet of polycarbonate and was told at Tap Plastics that it's bullet proof. He didn't believe them so he took it home, leaned it against a fence post and shot it with his .38 pistol. The bullet bounced back, hit him in the forehead and knocked him on his ass. All he got was a headache and a welt on his forehead but he says he now believes the stuff is bullet proof!!!
7oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oaks View Post
Next time you might consider using polycarbonate (lexan) for your window replacements. Acrylic sheet is not as strong and will shatter like glass. Polycarbonate will not shatter but only comes in clear or a gray tint which wouldn't match your other windows.

My friend Rick bought a sheet of polycarbonate and was told at Tap Plastics that it's bullet proof. He didn't believe them so he took it home, leaned it against a fence post and shot it with his .38 pistol. The bullet bounced back, hit him in the forehead and knocked him on his ass. All he got was a headache and a welt on his forehead but he says he now believes the stuff is bullet proof!!!
Yep, this will likely be a temporary fix. I just didn't want to leave the van on the street without a window any longer than I had to. If I replace it with poly or glass later on, at least I won't have to take the window out again.

Funny you should mention the bullet proof thing. The local Tap had a few 1" pieces of poly that had been shot, with the rounds glued to the front - .556, 7.62 and a few others with handgun rounds. Being interested in that kind of stuff, I should have taken a picture. Not something I expected to see in SF.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #17

FYI - that window is a Lippert Components window. They don't really have an online presence, but any RV dealer part department will have a catalog for LCI. I priced some larger windows previously, and they were fairly affordable.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oaks View Post
Too funny, I remember that story well.

Greg, I used that exact same method to remove a boat window that had wood trim attached with 5200, the non removable devils glue. It was pretty much the only way to get it out without destroying the trim. If you need any more Butyl, I have several extra rolls left over from when I ordered one roll from Amazon and they sent an entire case.

By the way, my neighborhood has had a rash of car prowls, 17 in the last week alone, including both my across the street neighbors cars. My car alarm went off twice a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was busted, but I also have a motion sensor with a receiver in the house which didn't go off. The motion sensor is just like the one Ray uses, and I seem to remember it saved his van once. They are cheap on Amazon, you might consider one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #19

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Happy to close this thread out. The window installation went pretty well. I had to trim the sides off the aluminum inner trim ring with my Dremel tool which was a huge pain in the ass. Hack saw just wouldn't work.

Butyl is brutal. First time working with it.

I'd like to send out more thanks to rallypanam (Robb) and 1der (Ray) both of whom were very helpful.

Just need to get a bit of lacquer thinner to clean up some of the old butyl. I'm 99.2% confident that it will not leak.

Name:	IMG_7823.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	26933
Old 04-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #20

You are most welcome, great to visit and I am glad you found a nice solution!