Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #1

Broken window - need help!

A couple of weeks ago, the crackheads broke my "40" door window. Got that fixed up for about $200. Night before last, they broke the glass in my small slider window to the right of the stove. It's not the one the slides, but the stationary piece of glass.

2003 van. Indiana build. Anyone have any insight on how to replace this glass? Window manufacturer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7813.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	26868

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You'll need to determine the manufacturer or contact whoever installed that unit or perhaps the converter?

Aftermarket windows like that tend to have very short production lives which makes finding replacement parts extremely difficult or impossible. Don't mean to rain on the parade but that's been my experience.

Best of luck with this!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Garage
gcvt - subscribed to your Thread since one day I may need the same info (always good to have a list of Contacts for some of the equipment these Vans have been outfitted with). Hope someone here can provide you guidance.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #4

Garage
Crl is the name you hear the most for the conversion vans. Maybe thumb through their site and see if you can find something similar that could either replace or slightly upsize if needed.

CRL Van Windows

These guys sell the crl windows but have better photos of the windows instead of petroglyphs like crl has on their site.

https://www.dkhardware.com/van-windows_ZC5M0P1.html

There are a few other companies out there, but crl seems to have the most selection and best prices. Be sure to reach out to ray (1der) for pricing. He can provide the best deals I’ve found on the crl windows.

And sorry to see man. Crooks just suck
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

A good glass shop should be able to make a replacement window pane that will match and fit. I have a neighbor with a machine shop with a fancy waterjet cutting unit and the local glass shops are always bringing him pieces of glass to custom cut. That waterjet does beautiful work!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
A good glass shop should be able to make a replacement window pane that will match and fit.

^^^^^This^^^^^

I've had glass cut by a couple different mom and pop glass places. Flat glass is a cakewalk, even with radiused corners.

You can save money by
1) not contracting with anyone in The City, find a place across the Bay in Oakland or south in Redwood City.

2) By removing the entire frame from the van (if its easy to remove) you drop off and pick up, having them do the replacement on the bench.

3) or making a cardboard template, have the glass shop do the work 'on the bench, in the shop', which is a lot cheaper, since they won't have the liability of your entire van at the shop.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yikes! 2nd window broken in such a short period of time, sorry to hear.
Is this sitting outside your house? Maybe get some deterrent protocols in place- Motion sensor lights, Motion sensor critter (crackhead) cam, Motion sensor alarm, Alarm signs(only good if the crackheads can read), Pitbull/German Shepherd/Doberman placed in the van at night (or borrow one).
Maybe storing the van in a secured offsite lot or at a friends for a period of time?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Thanks all. I got all the glass vacuumed up and removed the interior trim and day/night shade. I got six of the 11 screws holding the window to come out, but the remaining 5 don't want to budge so I gotta deal with that.

I have no idea why they broke this particular window. It's no where near a door, if they were trying to get in. The only thing you could reach from here would be the water pump switch, reading light, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7815.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	26872

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Yikes! 2nd window broken in such a short period of time, sorry to hear.
Is this sitting outside your house? Maybe get some deterrent protocols in place- Motion sensor lights, Motion sensor critter (crackhead) cam, Motion sensor alarm, Alarm signs(only good if the crackheads can read), Pitbull/German Shepherd/Doberman placed in the van at night (or borrow one).
Maybe storing the van in a secured offsite lot or at a friends for a period of time?
Thinking about all these things. There are over 30,000 car break-ins here each year with about a 2% arrest rate.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Thinking about all these things. There are over 30,000 car break-ins here each year with about a 2% arrest rate.
Last summer while I was home in Brokeland, my dad took the Quigley down to O'Reilley to buy oil and a filter (The one right across the street from Oakland Tech)... He wasn't there for more than 5 minutes and someone tried putting a screwdriver through both passenger side door locks, unsucessfully. We've also had many people (recently, last year or two) come through our neighborhoods on bicycles smashing windows for anything they think is of value in the open, and this is in the Oakland hills... it was never like this until my last year of high school and while I've been in university...

One of those things where I'd like to say a more steep punishment for these is in order... and then remember that it's California and there's not much of a punishment for anything unless you kill someone. You just have to hope there's a special corner of hell with their name on it.

Thank whoever's up there that Montana doesn't have this issue... Can't tell if it's because almost everyone has common sense and is a decent person, or that every other person is packing something between a Glock 19 and a .44 mag. Probably both.

Sucks that it's happened twice in a short period of time.. Not sure where you keep the van, but if it isn't a daily driver and you've got a friend somewhere outside of the city that you can keep it at, I might almost say that's a good idea...

The bay area... where nobody can have nice things. Sounds like a great slogan.
Just realized how awful it is for me to be 20 and already this pessimistic about society.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Garage
Maybe it's time to upgrade to shatter-resistant film? http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...int-21314.html
Will be adding this to the van windows to protect our investment.