Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #11

What specifically do you need to know?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinewave
Does anyone have any experience purchasing an out of state vehicle?
What state are you from?

What state is the van from?

Are you asking about registration? Or smog?

Or transportation? O something else?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #13

I live in California, the van is registered in Colorado.

I spoke to the CA DMV, they told me all I need is the signed title, and one of their forms. That settled some of my questions. I had wondered if any paperwork needed to be filed at the Colorado DMV, but I'm pretty sure now nothing needs to be done outside of what I have to do in CA.

Right now, about the only thing left for me to sort out before sealing the deal is figure out how to get the title. The owner has a lienholder that needs to be paid off. Obviously once the lien is released, the owner needs to sign off on the title. Here's the problem...the purchase price I am paying the owner needs to pay off the lien. How do I pay the lien, and get the title? If I pay, then the free and clear title gets sent to him? Then he signs it and send it to me? I'm not cool with that since I will have paid for the van and he'll have a free and clear title. I would of course have the van, but it's somewhat disturbing to think that I wouldn't have the title.

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Site Team

I thought I had posted a response earlier, but I don't see it. Must be a senior moment on my part.

Look into vehicle escrow companies. Given the situation, I'd make your buying the vehicle contingent on the buyer paying for the escrow service.

Herb
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #15

I was lucky enough my owner paid the lien and had a clean title when I showed up, so I can't really help. We stood at the bank window and I handed him a cashiers check and he handed me the title. It was a little nerve racking to hand over that much money cash.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I thought I had posted a response earlier, but I don't see it. Must be a senior moment on my part.

Herb
Nope not a senior moment unless we had one at the same time. My post is also missing.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
OK I’ll try again. I’m not good with transfers so maybe I shouldn’t comment but:
Isn’t the van in Colorado with the owner?
Where is the company that holds the lien against the vehicle?

It seems like I’m missing something here. Why wouldn’t you go to the lien holder with the owner, pay it off and have the owner sign the necessary Colorado DMV transfer papers? I would insist on signing the papers with the owner at the DMV rather than letting him send them in by mail. I would think the Colorado DMV or the lien holder would mail the new pink slip to you in California. Then all you have to do is deal with Ca. DMV to acquire new plates and a new pink.

You might have a time getting insurance to drive it out, another issue all together but probably not too much of a problem. Insurance should be looked over closely and might vary state to state. There is a lot of info on this site about insurance.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #18

Don't forget to factor in CA sales tax. I don't know how much you are spending but tax license and registration will come into play when you get the van to CA.
I bought my van used in Oregon. No Sales Tax. I had it converted to 4wd in Oregon....no sales tax. I had the seller give me bill of sale for the amount of $$$ I wanted to pay sales tax on in CA. I paid sales tax on the fair market value of the stock used van rather than it's value as a 4wd with a penthouse and solar. I figure I saved $20k with the tax and depreciation factors.
Good luck. Happy camping.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #19

Make sure the title is signed correctly

I just went through this. I bought a van in Seattle to title and register in Colorado. The seller went to the local DMV and had them highlight all the places on the title that they needed to sign. In Wa, you don't have to declare mileage on vehicles over 8 (or 10?) years, so they said they did not have to sign next to the mileage statement. Once in Co, the DMV would not accept the title without the signature next to the mileage statement. It was a little tense having to send the title back on a van I had already paid for with cash. In the end, it all worked out.

As for insurance, State Farm just required the VIN number and they set me up with a policy that activated the day I picked up the vehicle.

My only regret is that I did not wait until a van with my prefered seating arrangement to come available. Now I'm stuck with a van that isn't my ideal arrangement, but the price was definately right. I was able to make a cash purchase instead of financing, which is difficult right now.

Jim
Soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote