Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Can you get your 4x4 conversion insured?

I picked up a van recently that has a agile 4x4 conversion.
I set up insurance before my 17 hour drive back home but it is insured as if the van is stock, I just wanted to get it over with and be legal before my long drive.
But I’m now realizing that if the van were totaled, I would be out a lot of money since I obviously paid more due to the 4x4 conversion.
I’m going to call my insurance company and ask them about insuring it tomorrow, but was curious if anyone has been able to take the 4x4 cost into value with their insurance company.

JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

yes, we got it insured for its real value based on:
1. bill of sale
2. bills for additional modifications
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

We were able to get it done through Progressive RV department. Tell them it is "like" a Sportsmobile. They will ask if it has toilet water, etc.

Alternatively, you can get a "stated Value" policy for the amount you state it is worth. You will have to "prove it" in the event of a loss. This is done through classified ads, ads here on the forum. I would also see if Agile can send you a copy of the receipt for all the work they did. And take PICTURES of everything - top. bottom, inside, suspension.

It will take some effort but it can and does get done.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #4

My auto insurance only allows me to add up to 6500 in aftermarket add ons so that's what I have. It's not a camper van, just a passenger van with 4x4 conversion.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
My auto insurance only allows me to add up to 6500 in aftermarket add ons so that's what I have. It's not a camper van, just a passenger van with 4x4 conversion.
What is your insurance company?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Resurrecting this old thread of mine. I just called my insurance company, State Farm, and they said they can’t “add value” to my policy. The only thing I can do is have an insurance appraiser add that value AFTER an accident occurred.
I asked if there was some way to get reassurance that this would actually happen (like see something in writing) but they said I basically have to take their word for it.
All they can do is accept my sellers receipt from Agile and my bill of sale so they can “note it” on my policy.
So now I’m at a loss what to do.
Maybe that’s just the way State Farm works and I should see what other insurance companies can do for me.
My van is valued at approximately $16,000 stock but I paid way more than that for the 4wd and just want some reassurance that I will be covered in case something happens.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

Safco allowed me to set my coverage limit at $65K and charged me accordingly. I switched the SMB ins from Pemco where all my other insurance is and Safco was competitive... plus provides coverage in Mexico.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I just called my insurance company, State Farm, and they said they can’t “add value” to my policy. The only thing I can do is have an insurance appraiser add that value AFTER an accident occurred.
I asked if there was some way to get reassurance that this would actually happen (like see something in writing) but they said I basically have to take their word for it.

Before I got State Farm to cover my van as an RV, I had $27K of additional coverage added to the policy to cover the pop-top, 4WD, bumpers, interior, etc when it was insured as a passenger van. 2008 E350. I had this extra $27K of coverage on my policy in writing for about 4 years,

Insuring a SMB as a RV is one thing (since they apply an RVIA sticker); insuring a home-built van as a RV is another story.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
What is your insurance company?
I have nationwide insurance.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
As with most everything else, having things well documented helps. Make sure you’re covered by going over any additions or buildout items with your insurance agent and make sure you get coverage for declared value.
I’m with Farmers....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote