Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Can you walk on roof of Voyager?

Newbie here, deciding on options. Leaning towards the Voyager roof but want to know: can you walk up there on it? Such as, I want to put roof rack and kayak (prob a pod too) on top. The voyager is so tall already, I'm guessing I'd have to climb the ladder and be standing up there to hoist up and strap down a kayak?

Yeah, I know it'll be kinda tall; but I'm also going 2wd so that's not quite as much as 4wd.

Thanks!

jdv2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Can you walk on roof of Voyager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv2009
Newbie here, deciding on options. Leaning towards the Voyager roof but want to know: can you walk up there on it? Such as, I want to put roof rack and kayak (prob a pod too) on top. The voyager is so tall already, I'm guessing I'd have to climb the ladder and be standing up there to hoist up and strap down a kayak?

Yeah, I know it'll be kinda tall; but I'm also going 2wd so that's not quite as much as 4wd.

Thanks!
I would think so. I have seen those with racks and sat dishes on top. Don't know about ladders to get you there but Aluminess can fab almost anything. It might be difficult to pull a Kayak off much less tie one down at that height though. I think this was a voyager or maybe a cruiser I don't remember. It was in 2006 during a heavy storm in Yosemite.

Attached Thumbnails
New SMB 2006 099.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #3

I have a voyager top, and can walk on mine. I also will have a roof rack after next week. It is almost done at aluminess. It will be able to hold kayaks, surfboards, along with additional camping gear. My roof rack is only adding 3" of height to the van. I will shoot you some pictures as soon as I get them.
kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

Thanks, that's good to hear. Yes, it'll be kinda tall but disregarding the driving aspect, Anyone else with any tips on getting a boat atop a Voyager and just how awkward that is?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv2009
.... Anyone else with any tips on getting a boat atop a Voyager and just how awkward that is?
How about using the Thule Hullavator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre7277
.... I will shoot you some pictures as soon as I get them.
Please post the finished pics. I always love to see what Aluminess comes up with.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

Will Do. I will put them in my Gallery.
kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #7

Mine came with an A/C unit on top of a Voyager. I removed it and replaced it with a vent/fan. When working on top I noticed I could hear some creaking like when walking on a fiberglass boat bow so I slid around on my knees and butt most of the time to spread the weight. The biggest problem is that it's slick and at a slight angle. It feels just like you are on a house roof cleaning out gutters. You are so high that a fall will mangle you badly. So planing to crawl around up there often has a biger risk than I would care for. I have seen devises like this used on boat luanch areas and they seemed great. I think you can find a manual crank loading system. Do a national craigslist search.http://loadit.com/Flash.html
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

Aluminess hooked us up with a full coverage rack for our Voyager top. It holds everything we need so far. The access from the ladder is sufficient. As was said earlier, Aluminess can figure out a way to do just about anything and everything that I have seen them produce is really professional. I thought about a portable ladder that could hook over the rack on top and have padded support points at the base. Think bunk bed ladder. That way you could access tie-down points at almost any location. Here are some pictures and there are more in our gallery.

In between rigs at the moment.
https://www.overlandtraining.com/ Overland Certified #OC0008
Blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, good comments.

Surfgeek, "Hullavator"? ...yeah I heard someone mention a Thule boat mounting thingie, so I'll def check that out.

It sounds like I might not want to be up there regularly, often solo, but I'm becoming more aware that I might manage it via a loading accessory; and then partly off the van ladder and/or an extra portable ladder like Blackeye said or have been told just a 4-foot stepladder might be enough, to get it all strapped down.

Blackeye, great to get overhead pic showing all that!