Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Can't change oil, needs special tool - SOLVED

Some people also put a hose clip (spring clip) on the Fumoto valve as extra insurance against accidental or malicious opening of the valve. Kind of a belt and suspenders thing.

http://www.fumotousa.com/about-fumoto-valves.php

Herb

Old 08-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

I switched over to the Mobil 1 full synthetic that is for "extended interval" (or something like that). This is not to be confused for the one for high-mileage vehicles, but rather is for going longer between changes. Now of course, maybe you can do that anyway with regular Mobil 1, but since I'm not sure, I just get the extended interval one.

Not that I have any problem changing my own oil - it's not that hard (compared to my last car, the oil filter is a dream to reach!); but where I find it super useful is on trips. Before, I either had to take the rig to someplace I didn't know from Adam (mid-trip), or do it myself which either got me in trouble at a camping spot, or I'd have a hard time getting rid of the oil, etc. etc.

A related question: What happens if I change the oil filter without draining the oil pan? I think someone said that due to the routing I'll just lose a little bit, but can basically change the filter between oil changes with no problem?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #13

LOL on Sears with the valve. I have one, and it makes oil changes on this thing a 3 minute (+drain time) affair. If you have one with a nipple, you can stick rubber tubing onto it and drain directly into recycle jugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
A related question: What happens if I change the oil filter without draining the oil pan? I think someone said that due to the routing I'll just lose a little bit, but can basically change the filter between oil changes with no problem?
On the v10 there's roughly half a quart in there. I'd think you'd want to top that off.

I'm not sure I'd bother with changing just the filter, draining the oil is the less messy part. On the other hand, there is the environmental impact of the oil, and if it's still good, it's still good. There are also only 6 quarts total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
PS - It's not really necessary to change the oil at 3,000 miles. Ford says 5,000-7500 miles depending on drive cycle. I regularly go over 10,000 miles on full synthetic.
Considering what you do with your van I find that interesting. I was doing 5k with mobil 1 (let's not debate whether that's a full synthetic or not, I know it's not quite ) and got a bit of sludge at one point. Then I did a couple 1k changes until the sludge was gone, and was rewarded with 2mpg better economy. I'm now on 3k changes, and I've justified that with the hard use my van sees (either a trail, or a trailer on nearly every trip). However, I'm pretty sure you use yours harder yet.

I've got one analysis on a 3k change (mostly because I need to learn to read those for a different, somewhat more expensive engine), and it did look like I pulled the trigger a bit early.

I suppose this all means that that my sludge probably has some other explanation. Though it has not come back, so perhaps it was left over from some sin that pre-dates my ownership.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #14

Quote:
There are also only 6 quarts total.

yep for the gassers, The PSD is like 15 qts
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience

On the v10 there's roughly half a quart in there. I'd think you'd want to top that off.
Understood about what's in the oil filter. I've sometimes "filled" the oil filter before putting it on and it does hold a lot. What I really wondered was whether any "other" oil would come [gushing] out, or if I can just remove the filter and then replace it (and that half quart of oil too of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
I'm not sure I'd bother with changing just the filter, draining the oil is the less messy part. On the other hand, there is the environmental impact of the oil, and if it's still good, it's still good. There are also only 6 quarts total.
For me it's a combination of a couple of things. One is that with the extended interval oil, you can go up to 15,000 miles between changes. I really wasn't sure if a filter was good for that long though, or if I should change it in between one or more times (thoughts?).

Also, when I'm on the road it can be slightly problematic to completely change the oil. I have to buy something to drain it into (as I can't really easily carry anything along), plus "look like I'm working on my vehicle," and then find a place to dispose of the used oil (harder in some states/places than others). Just changing the filter would make it a bit easier.

Back in the day I was a religious 3,000 mile oil changer; but that was "natural" oil and I was in a place where it was easy to just get out my oil-changing stuff and do it (then conveniently dispose of the oil at work, where they had big drums just for that).
Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #16

Sorry I was trying to quote the above message

For me it's a combination of a couple of things. One is that with the extended interval oil, you can go up to 15,000 miles between changes. I really wasn't sure if a filter was good for that long though, or if I should change it in between one or more times (thoughts?).

On my 97 E350 I switched over to Amsoil at 3500 or 5000 miles....so long ago and I do not have that notebook in front of me, but it was the first oil change. After that initial change I only changed the asf99 filter every 5k and would send in the oil to be analyzed every 15k. The analyzing changed to 50k after 100k and went to every 45k till 500k.
At 500k I decided to drain the oil pan. Oil analysis was still good. Now back on changing filter every 5k.....have 562k on her now
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
After that initial change I only changed the asf99 filter every 5k and would send in the oil to be analyzed every 15k.
Sounds like you will know then: Does any oil "gush" out when changing just the filter but not the main oil? Or can I just take the filter off (over ground protection) and then put the new one on, even though the engine is still full of oil that I'm not changing?

This may have been answered above, but I wasn't totally clear on it.

Thanks,
Viva

PS: Then of course I would top off to make up for the oil that went away in the old filter.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Yes, you have it correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
After that initial change I only changed the asf99 filter every 5k and would send in the oil to be analyzed every 15k.
Sounds like you will know then: Does any oil "gush" out when changing just the filter but not the main oil? Or can I just take the filter off (over ground protection) and then put the new one on, even though the engine is still full of oil that I'm not changing?

This may have been answered above, but I wasn't totally clear on it.

Thanks,
Viva

PS: Then of course I would top off to make up for the oil that went away in the old filter.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #19

Thanks, Baja. Good to know I can change the filter relatively "neatly" even with the main oil system still full. I'll be picking up an oil filter next time I'm in town and change away! This will be a big help when I'm traveling and yet still want to change the filter.