Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #21

Re: Carrying a propane tank inside the van while traveling.

Just arrived in my email in-box.

litecylinder@litecylinder.com

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

Please be advised that The Lite Cylinder Company is no longer in business and is currently evaluating its legal options. The company’s facility is now closed and unable to receive cylinders returned per the instructions detailed in US DOT – PHMSA Emergency Order No. 2013-002. Furthermore, the company is financially insolvent and will not be able to recompense cylinder owners, dealers and distributors for the expenses incurred in complying with this Emergency Recall Order.

If you have any questions concerning the Emergency Recall Order you should contact John Heneghan, Regional Director, at (404) 832-1140, john.heneghan@dot.gov, or Aaron Mitchell, Director Field Services Support, at (202) 366-4455, aaron.mitchell@dot.gov.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #22

Great news, just great. That didn't work out. Glad I just bought this one instead, because I was about to buy one of the fiberglass ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-28114 ... opane+tank

I'm not sure exactly what it will cost me to use, but I filled up my #20 BBQ tank AND this one for $22 the other day, so I was pleased. Holds 5lbs. Also, it fits perfect under my rear dinette bench and is pretty secure there. It's one of the first things I take out when we park, and though I do see the merit in keeping it outside during travel, I also agree that there's really no perfect way to carry propane, so pick your poison.
I did a little experiment in fairly mild weather a few weeks back, and a 1lb cylinder lasted all night running my furnace. It was just running out at about 7 a.m. after a night in the 40's keeping the thermostat set at 70. So with this 5lb I can last a weekend easily.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I wonder how dangerous they really are? You know how the gov... I'll leave it at that.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #24

There is a lot of chatter about the Lite Propane Tank recall on the white water lists. There has only been one person step up and say his had leaked where the valve is inserted into the tank. The major problem seems to be with getting the tanks refilled. The recall notice went out to all of the propane companies. There is more than one maker of this type of lightweight tank. The people who have the safe lighter than steel tanks have been advised to carry a copy of the recall order with them when they have their tanks refilled so they have proof it's ok to refill.

The manufacture of the recalled tanks has gone out of business so getting a refund or replacement is kind of tough. Some of the retailers who sold the tanks are offering refunds others aren't.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #25

A leaking tank, in addition to a safety issues is also a serious pain to deal with. It's not like you want to toss it in the cabin and drive home. Nor do you just want to dump the whole thing somewhere. You need to rig something up and burn it off. I've been there. No fun when you're trying to get on the road on a schedule.

I've seen disposable cylinders do some pretty exciting stuff when shot at (with specific rounds I'm told) or left sitting in a fire.

I just coincidentally ordered one of the same 5 lbs tanks since it will fit in my (empty) generator compartment that vents to the outside. No more 1 lbs tanks for me.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I wonder how dangerous they really are? You know how the gov... I'll leave it at that.
Dangerous as in a case where a 33lb cylinder burst and injured transport employees. And an injury to an inspector during low pressure testing at their facility, as reported by their employees. The notice details lots of quality control issues, failure to report problems, insufficient testing, etc. So yeah, good catch by "the gov." Probably says something that they are insolvent. Their competitors don't seem (or seam, heh) to have the same problems.

I hope the posters who had these tanks saw the notice.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #27

So, I just got and used this tank on a recent camping trip:

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-28114 ... opane+tank

It was brand new, I had it purged and filled at a local place that moves plenty of volume and has never caused me any trouble. Attempting to use the tank, it keept tripping the excessive-flow shut-off valve a second or two after resetting it.

I eventually got it to stay on by bleeding it a bit via the bleeder screw a couple of times (do not try this at home, and if you do, please make sure you know what you're doing).

I suspect I somehow ended up with too much pressure in the tank for the excessive-flow shut-off valve to be happy. Either that, or I have a bad valve. The resident pyros at the campout claimed that some tanks just come with DOA valves.

I'll see how it does longer term.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote