Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Changing Pop Top Gasket

I bought a new gasket last year and it is now time to replace the old one as the rivet holes have torn in a few places. For those who have taken on this project so you have any advise?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #2

Garage
Subscribed - stiggs glad you asked the question...I too purchased a replacement gasket a year ago, just haven't made the time to replace it - with constructive advise you receive I'll (unfortunately) have no reason to delay any longer.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

I used a paper hole puncher to punch holes in the rubber.....and I used brass sex bolts from McMaster to install it.....They are also called "binder" bolts

It's been a while, but I think that there is only a hole punched in the outer flange of the rubber; a most robust solution would be to punch through both flanges and bolt both rubber flanges to the fiberglass.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

Another tip in case this isn't obvious, start at the back in the very middle and work your way around. You will have extra gasket to trim off at the end, and you may also end up with extra of those black buttons that you push through the gasket/top.

Definitely second boywonder's input to punch through both sides for a good hold. Just work your way along, punching holes in the gasket to align with the previously used holes in the fiberglass shell and then press the black plastic buttons through said holes. Then just trim off the excess part of the button on the inside of the shell so it doesn't rub the paint off your roof.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #5

Garage
May I ask the group if its advised to stretch the gasket some to keep it from buckling over time? Or is it sufficient to pull it just slightly taut so no initial slack is visible?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
May I ask the group if its advised to stretch the gasket some to keep it from buckling over time? Or is it sufficient to pull it just slightly taut so no initial slack is visible?
No need to stretch. If I remember right it won't stretch much anyway. Just pull it taut as you go.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
Definitely second boywonder's input to punch through both sides for a good hold. Just work your way along, punching holes in the gasket to align with the previously used holes in the fiberglass shell and then press the black plastic buttons through said holes. Then just trim off the excess part of the button on the inside of the shell so it doesn't rub the paint off your roof.

I'm not sure punching thru both flanges will do much with the supplied plastic push fasteners... It will certainly work with sexbolts/binder bolts because there will be a fastener head on both sides.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post

I don't think I'd stretch it. Mine shows signs of shrinking (pulling in at the corners) so you probably don't want to pre-tension it.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #9

Garage
Good feedback - Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I used a paper hole puncher to punch holes in the rubber.....and I used brass sex bolts from McMaster to install it.....They are also called "binder" bolts

It's been a while, but I think that there is only a hole punched in the outer flange of the rubber; a most robust solution would be to punch through both flanges and bolt both rubber flanges to the fiberglass.
Do you remember which ones you used?