Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #11

El Cheapo tire carrier

Ok. I bought the cheap, one size fits all, tire carrier. It came with no instructions and insufficient mounting hardware....

I'm in the market for a used aluminess bumper mount if anyone has one to sell.

In the meantime, this thing can only fit on one part of the door. It looks like I have to drill the door at 3 places and bolt it on.

Anyone done this? I'll need to remove the rear panel and one of the bolts seems to go very near the rear latch mechanism. The whole process is going to be very non-subtle. No finesse here. I'd like to do as little damage as possible. I can live with drilling and bolting, but don't want to screw it up and end up with extra holes.

Please respond or pm me if you have some insight, I'd like to call.

Thanks

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #12

Re: Cheap accesories-tire carrier and ladder

I wouldn't drill the doors if you can avoid to...
But if you have too remember to tape (masking tape) over the place you will drill to avoid slipping...
Remember the strain on the door as well when the tire is hanging on there...
Good luck
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #13

Ok. I need help.

Despite warnings to contrary, the cheap Surco tire carrier was successfully mounted to driver's side rear door. Upgraded to 4 grade #8 bolts, nuts, etc. (Although in a moment of weakness, I did call sportsmobile this morning to try to price on of their frame mounted carriers...looks like they were closed for the holiday.)

Cripes those tires are heavy....

Install went better than expected. There really is only one place on the door it can go.

The holes on the tire carrier do not line up well with the tire lug bolt holes. They are drilled oblong but still no good fit. The holes are too close for opposite lug holes and to far apart for one hole over. So the two bolts holding the tire on both point in different directions. Looks sorta rough. I will probably end up drilling a new mounting hole so I can mount one bolt directly across from the other.

The door will not open all the way without hitting the rear light (expected). Interestingly, the tire rests heavily on the bumper. So when I close the door, the tire compresses against the bumper. Nice to have the extra support.

Here is where I need help.

1. What is the best way to lock the tire to the carrier? Is a cable lock the way it's done?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0017227015645a.shtml

2. Can the big spare tire carrying structure under the van be cut away (it is riveted or welded) so I can use at space or is it structural in some way. It's a lot of steel.

Thanks

Tom
Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Tom..... Dude.... you are too focused..... it is Saturday ! I don't think they are ever open on Saturday.

BUT to your question.... How to lock the spare to the carrier?

We use the same gorilla lug that locks the non-spares in place on the van. A cable could work. but it could be cut.

Not sure on your second question.

I know you are deep into it now, but I still recommend the Aluminess spare carrier.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225

Here is where I need help.

1. What is the best way to lock the tire to the carrier? Is a cable lock the way it's done?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0017227015645a.shtml

2. Can the big spare tire carrying structure under the van be cut away (it is riveted or welded) so I can use at space or is it structural in some way. It's a lot of steel.

Thanks

Tom
I modified my spare tire mount to use the same studs as the axles use. And I use the same locking lugnut as I use on the other wheels.

I have no opinion on removing the factory mounting hardware. Mine is untouched. Maybe I can fab up a ''safe" and lift it up in that space.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
Am I making a mistake by going with the $100-200 versions of the ladder? The ladder I'm looking at seems to hang from the back door.
Tom
Tom check out this beauty. I had to laugh as it reminded me of your thread.

Guess it works but looks like the door won't open
Attached Thumbnails
ladder.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #17

Don't be making fun of my van. I got the job done...

But it did make me think of a new idea....climbing rock steps, like a climbing wall, bolted up the side....I'll take pics.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #18

Cheap, easy solution for the ladder.
Step 1
I took a basic aluminum ladder that bolted on the bottom and top of van doors. I think you can buy these for $60. I think you can probably use the ladders that hook over the doors too.
I then painted it with spray-on bed liner ($8). Then I bought a piece of 90 degree aluminum at Lowes. I then cut two small pieces then drilled thru the rain gutter. One was cut wider than the other. I than ran some flat head screws and secured the bracket. At this point the bracket is secured to the van.
Step 2
I then drilled holes through the bracket and bolted on the ladder to the bracket.
Step 3
I drilled two holes in the bottom of the rear quarter panel that just happened to have a strong reinforced back.
Step 4
I placed rubber padding between the quarter panel and the bottom ladder feet and screwed it into the panel.
Step 5
Wrapped the steps with skateboard grip tape.
Step 6
Since I made one bracket wider than the other, I connected my outside light to it instead of drilling a hole somewhere else.I drilled into the bracket itself.
It works perfect, except i realized I should of placed the bracket under the gutter, not on top as the PH does not fit 100% in the gutter, so I will swap it over this week.
All-in-all, it looks awesome and cost a fraction of alluminess. I am 185lbs and have carried up a bunch of stuff without any structural issues.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_12561.jpg  
rogers112869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #19

Looks great and thanks for the writeup. Some closeups would help me understand the details if not too much trouble.

Thanks again.

Tom