Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Clamping down on van camping

Last nights news had a segment on a new law prohibiting sleeping in your van in San Diego, except in a few designated lots.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...-in-cars-again

This is becoming more and more common everywhere. Today I read this story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...IGKnrTRl9JQQ8A

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

Eh, I do see both angles.

On one side, I can't say I'd be entirely comfortable with the thought of strangers showing up in my neighborhood with no attachment to the place, taking up all the parking and leaving a mess/stealing things, even if it was a vast minority (Wouldn't be the first time that the vast minority screw things up for the responsible majority)...

On the other side, if living in their car/van/truck/whatever is their only financially viable option, they do need somewhere to park, and you can't ask them to park out in the middle of nowhere so they aren't an inconvenience to others. If it was like 1 per neighborhood, their van didn't leak oil all up and down the street, it didn't look like a meth lab on wheels, and they were responsible and courteous, I honestly wouldn't mind. My guess is that most of the people on this forum who do this from time to time have never had an issue with it, because they are clean, quiet, responsible, and do so tastefully.

The other night there was a news special here (Brokeland CA) about the Mayor (or someone, the news never gets anything right) about opening up a small parking lot for campers.... It probably only had 15 parking spots, they said there was space for something like 40. March has been filled with news about Berkeley either trying to ban or has banned overnight camping to try and rid the homeless, etc.

TL; DR, For all the cities and dare I even say for most people, it is going to boil down to a "NIMBY" situation where, "I don't care where you park, so long as it's not in my neighborhood, and somewhere I don't have to look at it, pay for it, or otherwise have to acknowledge it".

Just my $0.02 on the situation...
Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

The California housing problem is just another part of the economic downfall coming. Too many can't afford housing. Nimbys are banning tiny houses, vans, etc and yet they complain about homeless. This country needs a serious head check.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
My smaller town is starting to explode with some questionable boon dockers. When I say questionable I'm talking trailers or vans stacked with so much garbage it's unreal. So far they have (fortunately) limited their occupancy to more industrial areas as compared to residential streets. One spot on the outskirt of town it almost seems like they have somebody that kind of maintains some sort of order. A guy in a van acts like it's his corner and moves people in and out over the week. At least it's always clean after they leave. There are a few long haul truckers along the street and I'm wondering how they all know where to go for the night...maybe an app? The problem is I'm starting to see a few camping trailers falling to pieces here and there on the streets with the owners unable to tow it out due to the condition of the tow vehicle or trailer. I wonder how places like Walmart are dealing with this? It's sad to say, especially for those poorer folks but the garbage and other stuff they leave behind is becoming a huge problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Speaking as someone who has cleaned up abandoned homeless sites multiple times now in the past 6 months you are completely correct. Think about what you would take when you had to go homeless. It is a lot of stuff. It is happening to a lot of people and all while we are distracted by the internet....

I've resorted to carrying extra garbage bags while doing my thing around Denver. Boulder and Colorado springs. Being able to afford to live here is difficult just like the other major cities.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

Garage
Portland, OR, has become a huge enclave for homeless folks. I’m guessing it has something to do with our temperate climate (if you can stand the rain) and our liberal/progressive politics. My feeling is that we should not be experiencing this level of homelessness to begin with and that we’re not, as a society, facing up to our duties to take care of our own.

There’s a space across the street from my house that regularly attracts zombie RV’s because both my neighbor and I have high hedges. Last week, a zombie RV (i.e., ugly, beat-to-crap motorhome) parked in that spot. Groan. I wouldn’t mind except that they always leave having dumped the most disgusting garbage on the curb). It so happened a little dog got lost and wandered into our yard, so I was checking with everyone about possible ownership. I knocked on the RV door and a guy, about 40-ish, opened the door. The smell of urine nearly knocked me out. When I asked if the little pup was his he said no, but he would call his friend who had a dog like that. When I looked in, he was lying flat out with a ton of junk (clothes? Sleeping bag? Food?) all around him. He had no legs and his wheelchair was propped up against him. Lord have mercy. I about lost it.

I spent the next two days trying to decide wtf to do to try to help him. Before I could decide, someone had already called the cops and he was gone. My guess was he was an Iraq/Afghanistan vet. Who else loses their legs like that at such a young age?

I’m still shaken by it and what I didn’t do to help him. Shouldn’t we just pay a few more bucks in property taxes- or something - to make sure people have a place to sleep and have a little breakfast and a cup of coffee?

I’m kinda tearing up talking about this. I just feel like I’m so fortunate that the worst problem I have is trying to figure out how to afford a poptop for my van - and that we should be doing more to make sure that everyone has a decent place to call home. What do you think?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #7

You saying my rig wouldn’t be welcome in your neighborhood? I make the best product and I’m a stickler for cleaning up after myself,as a matter of fact I’ve been complimented at the speedy growth neighbors have on their fruits and vegetables once the blue haze from my smoke stack settles on them.
Attached Thumbnails
C12EA01C-0C54-4417-972D-36255761C971.jpg   334CC931-561B-4961-B12C-F388931AD641.jpg  
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 AM   #8

In Huntington Beach we have a couple side streets where campers set up in my neighborhood,we walk our dog pass them once in a while,it seems the ones who come in about 10pm when a lot of public parking areas close and leave early 7-8am (have their crap together) are tolerated by the neighborhood but the ones that set up shop/make noise/make people uncomfortable get the booooot real quick and they don’t mess around here it’s like $200 the first three tickets and then something like $600 after that there is no rv parking aloud period unless you have an online account with a water or gas bill and then it’s only 3 days at a time blah blah blah,talk about a money maker...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
That there's and RV

"You're killin' me, Smalls!"