Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Class B Motorhome & Taxes

I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere on here, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm wondering how claiming a a class B motorhome (SMB) works with taxes. I've read about people claiming them as second homes and getting tax deductions. I'm very curious as to how much you might be able to get back in taxes. Any info on that topic would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Class B Motorhome & Taxes

You may be able to deduct the interest if you have a loan on it. It could be considered a second home, if it has the right equipment like sleeping, toilet, and cooking facilities.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

It's not a deduction if it's not used for business. In the case of a "2nd Home" you're writing off the interest, like you would with a home mortgage. Not sure how much of an issue that is with the IRS since you don't get a 1098 mortgage interest statement.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Highly likely you won't receive a Form 1098 for interest paid on the loan, in which case it goes on line 11 of Schedule A "home mortgage interest not reported on form 1098."

If you want to know exactly how much it would save in taxes you need to figure out what tax bracket or marginal tax rate your in and multiply by interest paid. So if your in the top 39.6% tax bracket and you pay $3,000 in interest the tax benefit would be $1,188 (0.396X3,000).

Another goody is the sales tax paid. You can deduct actual sales tax paid on major purchases (like car, boat, rv, etc) in addition to the standard amount of sales tax deduction allowed (calculated based on locality and income). The deduction is an alternative to state and local income taxes paid so its limited to the greater of sales tax or state and local income tax paid.

All of this could be moot for a lot of higher income people because the itemized deduction phaseouts will start in 2013 and you could also be subject to the AMT tax, which could eliminate all these deductions if you meat the communist definition of "rich."