Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Garage
Cleaning penthouse canvas?

Hi folks,

What do folks use to clean the canvas on the penthouse? Ours seems to have a touch of mold here and there (came that way) and we'd like to eliminate that.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks!
Scott

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #2

Garage
You are in Salt Lake, so you're lucky. Kirkham's is amazing with all things canvas. They recommend a simple recipe for cleaning:
* 5 quarts water
* 1 quart white vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon laundry detergent
How To Care For Your Springbar Tent
In fact, when I asked them what to use to clean, they refused to sell me anything and referred the previous recipe to me. At the store, they do sell some waterproofing stuff that is pretty amazing. I can't remember what it's called, but ask for whatever they use for waterproofing their tents, and they'll know what you need.

Kirkham's is awesome.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #3

As we are in rainy season in africa we also have to struggle with mold from time to time. We use chloid (normal for bleach clothes) and water.
If availablee a good antimold protuct without chlor i like more.
Than we take a sponch and work on it.
After all a produkt from marine/boat for there canvas is perfect to protect it and make it waterresistand
Dani und Didi in Afrika -
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks, folks. I tried the Kirkham's method for starters. It seems to have helped a bunch but I suppose time will tell. As the mix goes on, of course, it darkens the canvas. I used a soft brush rather vigorously trying to eliminate the mold spots and it was hard see it actually doing much. However, when the canvas dried it did look considerably cleaner and much of the mold was apparently gone. Naturally it started raining here right after the canvas dried so I buttoned her up and left further treatments for another day. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks folks, still the best forum anywhere!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu1 View Post
Thanks, folks. I tried the Kirkham's method for starters. It seems to have helped a bunch but I suppose time will tell. As the mix goes on, of course, it darkens the canvas. I used a soft brush rather vigorously trying to eliminate the mold spots and it was hard see it actually doing much. However, when the canvas dried it did look considerably cleaner and much of the mold was apparently gone. Naturally it started raining here right after the canvas dried so I buttoned her up and left further treatments for another day. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks folks, still the best forum anywhere!!!
Looking forward to hearing what you think after it's had time to dry out. Thanks!
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #6

Makalu, do you mean the outside or the inside? Or both? On the outside I've used a strong bleach/water mixture, same as I use on awnings, and it works great. Best done on a sunny day and the bleach will cook the mold right off. Make sure you have the windows all closed securely and wash with soap and water, usually the whole van, right after to avoid streaks from the bleach water. Works for me!

Inside, of course, don't use bleach!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

Garage
86scotty, I was asking about the inside. I hadn't really looked that carefully at the outside until now and it feels like it has some sort of light rubberized coating; I only noticed that since I was checking to see if the mold had gone through all the way. The water-vinegar-laundry detergent combo looks to be pretty effective on the inside (which just feels like plain canvas) and I might give it a second run before I put on any waterproofing treatment. I called Kirkham's today and they had a couple of products for sale they use on their canvas tents. One was like $120/bottle! and the other was about $40/bottle. Since it appears to me the penthouse outside is already waterproofed with some kind of physical coating, then I will probably just use their $40 bottle to lightly coat the inside- after I test on some other canvas to make sure it doesn't smell funny. One thing I noticed this morning when I went out and raised the top was it did not smell as musty inside anymore. I think this process is working. 86scotty, were you saying that you had mold on the outside where you used the bleach, or was that just dirt?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

It was just dirt if I remember right. It was my older SMB which had been sitting a long time when I bought it. The inside of mine was fine, it was just on the outside. Every one I've seen has that 'waxed' or coated outside though, pretty tough stuff, so I bleached it to freshen it up.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #9

Can I use a stiff brush if the mold doesn't come off the awning right away?
emilhosea is offline   Reply With Quote