Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #1

Colorado Title Issues

OK, so I spent a full week registering my vehicles in Colorado and the SMB was the hardest to go down- in fact they insisted on sending me the title in the mail.

The problem is it's wrong-
The odometer reading is from when I first purchased it in 6/07: 40355
The VIN check had the current mileage: 56xxx

The Fuel type is: GAS
Should be: D (diesel)

The date purchased is when the Previous Owner bought it from SMB: 4/15/2005
Not, again, when I bought it in: 6/xx/07

And lastly the body style is "VN" which I assume means van. Despite all the info they have I'm not sure it's categorized right. RVs are registered by weight and currently I think it's registered as a van body- the old title has body "PV", no weight, but a taxable value that appears to be the chassis only. Of course it also has fuel type "G" on the old title.

I purchased it in Colorado, registered it in AZ and now have moved to Colorado.

The registration/title fee was $215 "Own Tax" and $98 with some misc fees that made the total $321.

So my question to Coloradans is what should I fight/fix on this? I don't want to stir up the bees nest- they already seem to have such problems conceptually with this vehicle I don't want to address anything that would cause trouble for no benefit.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #2

No clue, but you're making me nervous - we still haven't registered ours (which we bought in Wyoming). (We're doing a little project on it and it's not drivable until we're done, so we can't get it VIN-checked yet)
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #3

Oh it got registered, it was just like swallowing the wishbone sideways is all.

It was worse in Arizona where I'd done all my research and was all set up with a written cost and everything, the inspection was painless and the first teller was going to tax me on the chassis. Unfortunately I had to get my wife's signature on the title and when I came back to a different teller she got all governmental you're-gonna-have-a-bad-day on me to the tune of 4 days of waiting and in the end $250 dollars.

So that's why I don't want to poke at it until I'm sure of the outcome- I don't want to see $321 turn into $650 because I'm trying to correct their mistakes.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
I really thought the fees and taxes involved in registering my SMB in Colorado where fairly cheap compared to some other states I've been in. However, the people in the motor vehicles department are a pain in the A%# (probably depends on which county your in). They only use common sense as a very last resort.

My SMB is in a trust and the name of the trust was abbreviated on the previous title because of space limitations. This was a big problem for the Colorado DMV. It took 5 trips to the motor vehicles office, a sworn statement and a trip to the notary before I could get them to begrudgingly sign off on the Colorado title.

I'm not sure what it will take, but you probably do need to correct the mistakes sooner rather than later. If you need to re-title in another state, sell the vehicle, get an emissions certificate or make an insurance claim, you could be in for a seriously big serving of red tape.

But, if your anything like me, you'll leave it , be happy that you have current tags and deal with the red tape later.

Good luck with it,

R.S.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #5

After my conversation with the Colorado DMV I'm still totally unsure what to do. The fuel type is wrong. They want me to run in and fix it.

They can't tell me what the cost of registering an RV is. There is no information available to the public, and while she admitted they have "a chart" for figuring it by hand, she wouldn't provide any info without a VIN number, certified weight ticket and original MSRP.

The concept that I was going out of state to purchase a vehicle (my cover story) was totally alien to her, as was the idea that the present owner might not want to run down to the local scale and pay for a certified weight ticket and mail it to me JUST SO I COULD CONSIDER BUYING THEIR RV.

Another area where I made no headway was the idea of mileage on the title. Colorado lists the mileage from when you purchased the vehicle. So my 2005 SMB purchased in 2007 lists 40K which is the mileage from my Arizona title. No problem because I purchased the vehicle in Arizona it happens to work out.

But it's mere coincidence, as Arizona law is totally different. Arizona looks at the odometer and writes down that mileage. So my Jeep, which I purchased NEW with 4.1 miles on it and is a one owner vehicle now looks like I purchased it at 44K!

You would think I could just submit proof of previous title and registration, or better yet they could look it up from Indiana (or Carfax which will come up later) but no... they expect me to go fix this in Arizona. Guess what? Arizona law is different. They won't put 4.1 miles on a title because that would be totally illegal.

So Colorado is basing their system totally on the systems of other states which vary in how they title vehicles. And they shrug and don't care. I give up. I've got plates and I'm not futzing with it.

Oh yeah, and the reason Colorado titles work this way? The answer is simple: "Well otherwise the title records wouldn't match up with Carfax."

Oh My Freaking God! Colorado had written their law to match how a dot com works! This state scares me.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #6

Oregon adopted some generic language that I've seen elsewhere defining a motorhome. Here, permenant sleeping and cooking facilities is all it took to classify my SMB as a motorhome/RV. Cost me a lot more than just registering a van was the result. Now, there is a silver bullet lining to having your rig classified as a motorhome/RV. Want to guess? Gave you a clue already. People can enjoy suds if in the "living area" of the RV (your laws may vary, but Oregon adopted the federal guidelines on this so good chance your laws are the same or similar). Doesn't help me when I'm driving down the road, but my friends sure are excited that they get to sit in the back and enjoy barley pops without fear of violating the open container law. I ought to charge them to offset the higher registration costs. Jage, if you need any help, I fight with our DMV now and then as part of my job. Again, don't know your rules in CO, but nonetheless happy to help if I can.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #7

Regarding fuel type: This could be a big issue for you if you have emission testing there or wheverever you call home in the future. The unsoliticied advice regarding that is to get it entered correctly on the title now and avoid a potentially major hassle later.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
They can't tell me what the cost of registering an RV is. There is no information available to the public, and while she admitted they have "a chart" for figuring it by hand, she wouldn't provide any info without a VIN number, certified weight ticket and original MSRP.
If I remember correctly, the fees for registering as an RV are calculated with weight being a heavy factor. The heavier your rig, the more you pay. Thats why they want the wright ticket.

When I get home I'll look I'll look up what I paid and post it so at least you'll have an idea. I don't think it was that bad.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

It looks like the La Plata DMV registered us as a passenger vehicle. We paid a $54.45 owner tax, $42.19 license fee, $7.20 title fee, $10 for VIN verification. Plus 5.9% sales tax on the amount we paid for it as given on our bill of sale.