Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #11

Re: Composting toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
...Ramble on!
: ) 5 posts

I'm a new kid on the block, though my wife and i've drooled over the van projects for years, now we finally have one in the driveway.

Another reason for composting for us vs the cassette...since the van is my wife's daily driver, we didn't want any water system in it that we would have to _winterize_, and we had the water supply for the thetford partialy freeze up on us in the trailer one off-road winter adventure to Mt Hood.

oh, and we only use dr bronner's pepermint soap, so i don't feel bad watering the forest : )

happy trails,
thom

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the information!

The exhaust hook up is really interesting. I look forward to seeing the design info on that.

In talking with both SMB Texas and the folks at Natureshead, I learned some interesting things:
1) The installation space would be about the same as for SMB's marine toilet. Paul at SMB was surprised at the compactness of the design.
2) The handles can go on either side of the toilet, making it more compact.
3) I like the fact that both Airhead and Natureshead are designed for pretty intense marine usage.

We'll share more info as we get closer to making a decision.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana@tashjian.com
In the article on Jay's composting toilet there's a sentence: "Liquid waste and gray (i.e., post-wash) water is slowly dumped onto the exhaust for conversion into steam vapor."

I tried to rummage around online to find out what this was about and could find nothing about dumping the liquid onto the exhaust. Can someone point me to more info?

Thanks!
Diana Tashjian
I looked around for more info., but could only find the same thing posted on Jay's own site. That must be the other source that I remembered. Sorry not to be able to find more sources.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

Liquid waste and gray water are neither 100% H20, but steam is... so my guess would be all that other stuff would be left behind baking on the muffler? Seems like you would need a tray or some collection filter that was replicable and that just concentrates the problem for later disposal.

Just a thought. Looking forward to hearing about the composting toilet. Is there a portable version I could replace my Thetford with?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #15

Re: "Liquid waste and gray water are neither 100% H20, but steam is... so my guess would be all that other stuff would be left behind baking on the muffler?"

Would that discourage tailgaters?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #16

The more I think about it, the main residue (coming from human liquid waste) should be regular salt (sodium chloride) and uric acid, both of which are not very friendly compounds to apply to the muffler. Seems like the acid would directly corrode the metal while the salt did its catalyst thing to oxidize it. Then there's the fact that heat drives most chemical reactions at a faster rate. I am going to post a question about this to Jay on his ExPo thread.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #17

So, we did get to see a Nature's Head out of the box. Larry, the company owner, actually shipped one out so we could look at it. Very impressive customer service.

The assessment: Appears sturdy and well-made. Compact, yet the seat provides enough tushie room. Well-sealed, so unlikely to spill with off road use. A winner overall.

This will most likely be included in our SMB build. We'll post an update when it's installed and operational.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Nature's Head Composting Toilet

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #19

TP goes in the compost toilet? Or separate disposal?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie
So, we did get to see a Nature's Head out of the box. Larry, the company owner, actually shipped one out so we could look at it. Very impressive customer service.

The assessment: Appears sturdy and well-made. Compact, yet the seat provides enough tushie room. Well-sealed, so unlikely to spill with off road use. A winner overall.

This will most likely be included in our SMB build. We'll post an update when it's installed and operational.
Please post back if you ever get a chance to sit down and see how it works. I have the standard porta pottie but have yet to use it because of the dumping issue. It's become a waste of money IMO and actually have it for insurance purposes (like if that even matters). If there is something out there that works better, I'd like to know. I'm using WAG bag type stuff and that aint fun either.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote