Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Confused about replacing torn window screen

2000 E-250 SMB. I figured this would be a pretty straightforward project, but either everything is rusted together or I don't know what I'm doing. I've already snapped 3 rusty screw heads.

I'm not too familiar with windows. I think the screen panel is held into place with some metal trim that is screwed around the border of the window. I started unscrewing several screws around the border. Screws came out rusty. 3 of the 6 screw heads snapped. Afterwards, I can't seem to get the metal border to pull away. Am I doing this right? Anyone seen this type of window before? I'm the second owner, but pretty sure these are SMB factory installed. Is the trim supposed to pull away and that's how I remove the screen panel? Drew circles around where I removed screws.

Any tips on the broken screw heads?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1777.jpg   IMG_1778.jpg  

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Garage
That’s a crl window. The piece you’re trying to remove the the trim piece that secures the entire window, but it does look like you’ll need to remove it to access the areas needed to replace the screen. However to replace the screen you need to do it in the same manner that you would on an old screen door. Look at this little blurb then look at the window closer and you’ll see what needs to happen.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/250...window-screen/
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Garage
Sorry didn’t touch on screws...

Is the window symmetrical? If so you may need to pull all the screws out and flip that piece to where that seam is at the top and just reassemble with better screws. The ones that come with those windows are terrible.

If it isn’t symmetrical, hopefully once that trim piece is removed you can grab onto the broken screws with some vice grips or something and back them out that way. Might be tough. Maybe someone has a fancy tool that they can recommend.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 12-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Shenrie. After really yanking on the black metal trim around the window, i’m about 75% sure the screen doesn’t come out that way. I’m gonna give SMB a ring tomorrow morning. I think i’ve done more harm than good at this point.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

Garage
That ring has to come off to access the way the screen needs replaced. I’m 100% sure on that. All smb is going to do is sell you another window, which if you can’t rotate that ring and can’t remove the broken screws you’ll likely need to do anyway. If that’s the case ask smb for the model number of that window and reach out to member 1der and he can get you a replacement for much cheaper then smb will sell it to you. We might be able to id the window with an outside picture of it.

The actual screen replacement is pretty easy, but it will take you a few tries to get it perfect. So if you do get that far, buy more screen than you think you need.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

ok, I was able to ID the window. Measured it out at 20.5" high and 55" wide from the inside, so must be model VW21611L shown here: https://dkstatic.blob.core.windows.n...2/TV12A_65.pdf

Called CRL and that model is no longer in production. Ugh.

I'm scared to break anymore screws trying to take the ring out! I might be able to suture in some screen material over the existing screen? My big concern at this point are the broken screws. Can I drill new ones next to the old ones or will I hit glass?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

Garage
of course its discontinued...

don't mark my words on this, but pretty sure that ring all the way around you should be able to drill holes and affix the ring back into place. you should probably confirm though. I installed a crl window in my van and did some documentation here, starting with post #149.

the picture labeled as "outer" should show you what your window looks like under that ring. looks to me like you could drill holes anywhere around that perimeter and be able to re-screw it down. please do your research first though. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction as im speculating that yours is setup like mine is.

also, like I said, if your window is square, you might be able to rotate the seam to the top and hopefully the screw holes end up someplace where the broken ones aren't. also again, don't reuse any of the screws if you are able to get them out. they are junk. go to the hardware store and get some quality ones and a bit specifically for those particular screws so you cant strip them out.

best of luck

EDIT: looking closer at your pix now that im not on my phone and you might have to remove interior pieces to be able to remove that black trim ring. hopefully the pix in my build thread can shed some light on your situation.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #8

Shenrie, took a look at your post (and your snowboarding photos...nicee). Super helpful. I think I should be able to drill new holes and those holes *should* hit here. Is that what you're thinking? Funny how some things make more sense before they're put together rather than after.

Oh...and this window isn't symmetrical either, so no trim flip flop (but nice think'n on that one).
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0357_zpsac565399.jpg  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Garage
Yep, that was my thought. Glad my ramble made sense. Hope it works out for ya!

Thanks on the board pix. Wish I could take credit for them, lol.

Nice paint skills btw! I could never make a line that perfect with a mouse.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Sheesh....that would frustrate the crap out of me. I’d be cursing the person that came up with that design. I have the crl awning windows that have a removable screen held in place by simple clips, so it’s easy to pop them out of the frame to replace the screen material, which I’ve done, I was wondering why you were having issues.....[emoji2359]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote