Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #11

Re: Crazy Question!

I'd be afraid the vultures would rape my plastic owls. Their pretty big birds, a little bigger than an owl or wild turkey. I tend to think they would rip through the tape too. They have a big hook on the end of their beaks and they hook it under the weather stripping and rip it off in hunks. I've seen them eating a rotten alligator down there so if they can chew through that hide and stand the smell I don't know how much hope there would be in treating the rubber with something.

I think if the weather stripping is only $30 or $40 it may just be part of the cost of the trip. I don't think they are near as bad in the summer as in the winter. Supposedly, they don't like all of the heat coming off of the parking lots. I've known they would do this for a log time but I was told that if you don't park in the shade you will be fine. That wasn't the case when I was down there over Christmas. It wasn't hot so sitting out in the sun didn't bother them.

I'm planning on installing a KVH in motion satellite. It terrifies me what they could do to that. I don't know if there is any rubber on it or not.

91Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

My KVH does not have any exposed rubber, but there is wiring that exits the KVH and goes through the PHT. THere is also some sort of seal at the hole in the PHT.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Site Team

Stop storing dead animals on your roof! Problem solved.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #14

How about just throwing up a huge plastic or canvas tarp over the roof of the van when you're in vulture country? Anchor it down with tent stakes or rocks, or even use bungee cords attached to the wheel wells or bumpers. It would look corny, but would also hide and protect the rubber areas the vultures are prone to destroy. Probably a cheap option too versus alternative builds.
R
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #15

Try something like this product.

http://birdbgone.com/products/birdsp...FRMXawodVXLIHQ

Perhaps just put it up when you are in Vulture country. Or maybe 2 metal slinkys and wrap it around the penthouse so they can't peck at the seal.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #16

EMrider,

Covering the top with a tarp is the most common solution I have seen used. I was just hoping to find some alternative. In the summer months when the fishing is best for the species I target, the mosquitoes and no-seeums are horrific anywhere on land. Once you’re in the water they are pretty much no problem unless you throw your fly or lure into a tree and get too close trying to get it loose...then watch out.

Since I would have to take the tarp on and off every day (you have to drive a little ways between where you camp and where you launch) I was trying to find a solution that would not have me outside the vehicle at the marina any longer than absolutely necessary trying to cover the vehicle. Believe me even with a mosquito net suit on it's not fun. I will probably get some sort of cover cut that I can leave on there while I'm in the Park that just covers the Penthouse top. The problem is the satellite dish and if I decide to add a solar panel, those items need to be exposed to work.
91Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Site Team

If you have propane on board the van, problem solved.
THE ZON SCARE CANNON!!!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
I was thinking something stinky, but stink doesn't seem to be something that bothers them.
Spray the top with tomcat pee.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #19

I wonder if you could just take it off. The stock plastic pins are likely to get destroyed removing them, but if you could find a reusable replacement, you could pull the rubber on arrival. It wouldn't be any more work than replacing it after vulture destruction, and might save you some collateral damage.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I wonder if you could just take it off. The stock plastic pins are likely to get destroyed removing them, but if you could find a reusable replacement, you could pull the rubber on arrival. It wouldn't be any more work than replacing it after vulture destruction, and might save you some collateral damage.
The pins are just ribbed plastic. They may push out w/o damage. Especially after you get them out and lube them. Also, they are cheap from SMB (maybe free).

But the rubber gasket on the original SMB is a lot tougher than car door gaskets. Ask for a piece. It's stout. Like a rubber raft. Might be worth letting them have a shot at it.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote