Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Here's what I have at home, assuming I had a weapon there of course. Hardly as fast as a holster, but quick access from a safe, secure location. The key is a backup, the "combination" is done with your fingers in a sequence you decide.

It has provisions for bolting down.

Herb

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Here's what I have at home, assuming I had a weapon there of course.
Of course all this is hypothetical, what would you do to stash defensive gear, if you had any, which we don't of course, those of us in CA anyway (dang, what I'd give to be living back in Texas where there are much fewer restrictions on this sorta thing.)

So that being said, my Mossberg safe lights up and makes a hell of a racket when I open it to retrieve my "valuables..." One loud beep with each key press.

Is that product silent or can it be made silent? Would imagine that it doesn't need to light up since the combo is done by feel.

Also the Mossberg eats batteries. Even using lithium 9V cells at six bucks a pop I don't think I got more than a few months use out of them. How is that unit on batteries?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #23
Oni

Herb

I have one of those at home as well...and plan to get another one or something similar when I get my SMB. Lowracer...it is quiet. Tactile buttons with user set combo. The spring loaded door does snap open...but I keep my fingers on it and when the door is released I gently open it instead of letting it spring open.

Jeffrey (Canyonclan) has great points. Also be sure to have a GOOD flashlight. It is really dark out in the boonies and a 2 D cell maglight won't cut it when things go bump in the night.

A GOOD flashlight...like a Surefire or other high intensity flashlight can be both used to identify your target and disorient your target giving you more time to assess/react. I have heard tales of confrontations avoided just by the use of a very bright light in the eyes of the offending party.

This product from Kimber sounds very interesting: http://www.life-act.com/ Rather than a pressurized container, it is driven by a pyrotechnic device, which should hopefully decrease the worry of an accidental discharge in the vehicle.

Mark
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #25

Dang, that loop is making my head spin. I used to use the Col. Jeff Cooper system of 4 colors, condition white through condition red (won't repeat the whole thing here, but there's a good writeup on Wikipedia: http://tinyurl.com/yq7let ).

I have a shorter system that I devised on my own, more to reflect reality of a stress situation, since I can't really remember more than three things while under stress. I call it the lowracer "short" code:

Condition White: Everything's cool, my shorts are white.
Condition Yellow: Something bad is about to happen, Oops, I wet myself.
Condition Brown: Bad stuff is happening right now. Oops, I crapped my shorts.

The best part of this system is you really don't need to remember anything. You can always tell what condition you're in simply by checking your shorts.

-Mark
aka lowracer
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #26

Lowracer,

I'm thinking this might be the setup you're looking for:

canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonclan
Lowracer,

I'm thinking this might be the setup you're looking for:

Yikes! It's illegal for me to even watch that video in CA. Stand by while I clear my cache, erase my hard drives, and wait for the agents of the CA DOJ to impound my CPU.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #28

Defensive Gear Placement

There's been a lot of good info presented here so I'll try not to restate too much of what has already been said.

My personal belief is that if you feel you need a firearm, it needs to be immediately accessible at all times and that means on your hip or other similar location. It's useless if it's locked away or otherwise out of immediate reach.

For those not inclined to carry a firearm or not able to legally carry a firearm in all 50 states (many states have license reciprocity laws), there's the bear spray option as has been mentioned. My personal 50 state legal suggestion, that hasn't been mentioned, is your chemical fire extinguisher. One blast to the face of any attacker should give you the time you need to flee the scene and yes, it can impair breathing if sufficiently inhaled.

I purchased an automotive police shotgun rack with the intent of mounting it in a cabinet, for when I go hunting or stay in bear country. I still haven't mounted it but I will eventually.

The various lock boxes and cable locks are good for the times you can't take your firearm with you, such as places with metal detectors. On a side note, I have found that most places with metal detectors are fairly friendly to firearm owners in the sense that many have lock boxes available for you. You just need to ask.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #29
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Here's what I have at home, assuming I had a weapon there of course. Hardly as fast as a holster, but quick access from a safe, secure location. The key is a backup, the "combination" is done with your fingers in a sequence you decide.

It has provisions for bolting down.

Herb
So Herb, if you had what you don't have at home, where do you think one could find the name of this product that you don't have?

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #30

It's a Gunvault GV1000.
http://gunvault.com/