Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

Discount Van and Truck

So I am curious what is the deal with these guys. I am sure this discussion has popped up at other times but I was wondering if someone can fill me in.

Years ago I bought a swivel base from them and they sent me the wrong one by accident. They fixed the mistake by sending me the correct one after I returned them the wrong one. I was a little miffed that they would not send it out until they got mine back since it was not my mistake but that was fine I got it.

Recently I bought a set of clamps from them for a sofa bed back in November to be exact. Since it has been well over a month and nothing has shown up I decided to call them. I spoke with Ivan last week and asked him what the deal was. He said they were waiting to get them from the distributor, to which I asked him when he expected them in. He replied, I have no idea. I was a little shocked so I asked, what is your gut feeling, one day, one week, one month. He said they get here when they get here...

I was a little bummed at the response, so I just asked him to email me when they showed up so I could figure out a different route if too much time goes by. He responded again by saying I could tell you I will email you but I would be lying. I don't have time to email people so you won't get an email, I asked how I would know and he said you won't you just have to wait.

Well it has been about two months and I figure it is time to get them elsewhere so I bought a set from an ebay shop. Already got them.

Went to call Discount Van and Truck to get a refund and the voicemail box is full, they don't reply to my emails and I am wondering if anyone else has had these problems.

I don't like the idea of stopping payment on a credit card purchase, not sure I even can since it was 2 months ago. I am not going to loose sleep over a hundred bucks but still doesn't seem right.

1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Discount Van and Truck

I'm surprised they charged you ahead of time for a product they didn't have in stock, unless it was a special order item. I'd call you cc company immediately and explain the situation and see what they recommend.

Herb
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Disputing the charge is the way to go. It will be simple on your part. Fill out the form which will have you describe what you expected vs what you got. It will then be the vendor's duty to provide proof of shipment. The credit card company will refund you the charge immediately, and if the vendor does not respond within 30 days, or provides insufficient evidence, the the charge can no longer be un-reversed. Disputing the charge will not impact your credit report, and following through with the process can actually help others with similar disputes.

Do it soon though, as there are time limitations for filing a dispute. You may qualify for an extension because your card is not supposed to be charged until shipped. They are only suppose to authorize amount initially.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

PS- thanks for posting your experience. I was going to order some swivel bases from them, but I think now I'll just buy through Van Specialties.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

I agree with Carringb, I was just looking at their website a few days ago and planned to order a swivel base before my next road trip. Thanks for the heads up/warning. I may be heading the Van Specialties route as well.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I'm surprised they charged you ahead of time for a product they didn't have in stock, unless it was a special order item. I'd call you cc company immediately and explain the situation and see what they recommend.

Herb
They did the same to me on my swivel base. My card was charged 2 months before I got the thing. If anyone would go in to business to put them out of business it would be very easy IMO. I now know there are others, but at the time I didn't know where else to get a base.

It's really funny, that's just about exactly what Ivan told me. I get the feeling he is one guy in a small office surrounded by stacks of yellowed papers and overflowing ashtrays, dim lighting, and piles of fast food wrappers on the floors. Just a hunch.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

Glad I saw this thread. I too have considered buying products from them. They will not get my business.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenrietta
Glad I saw this thread. I too have considered buying products from them. They will not get my business.
Problem is they have stuff that is hard to find elsewhere, and I'm sure he knows it.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

I bought my seats from there, and yep, Ivan (I thought it was Ivas) was my contact. I called the sales/ordering line, but asked for "someone in technical support" for some fit questions. I got Ivan.

He was actually helpful and nice, but very "dry"... at one point I told him I was "gonna send him a Christmas Card for being so patient", and I think I heard his face crack a little... kinda like a little *chirp* sound. Though I do find that non-Southerners are a little more literal and take a split-second to "get" my humor.

Anyway, I also gathered that they do thousands of seats a year for the conversion/rv/bus/industry and we one-piece-at-a-time guys don't get them all-involved. So now Eric has me seeing Ivas(n) in the dim-lit, smoky office, waiting' on that dang Christmas Card
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #10