Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Discussion split from: For Sale: 2012 Sportsmobile 4x4

Even though it costs ~$1000 to advertise on the SMB website there are advantages to both buyer and seller. The buyer can be assured that the vehicle has been checked out by a mechanic and buyers are screened for serious offers. The seller is spared the endless questions etc. and price negotiation is painless.

It makes a difference when the buyer is located in a different state and has to fly and/or incur other costs just to go see the vehicle.

Good luck with the sale.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

For Sale: 2012 Sportsmobile 4x4

SMBs website offers some credibility to the ad as well. I think they want $1500 to just list it, however.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Re: For Sale: 2012 Sportsmobile 4x4

So chromisdesigns.......what did you buy?

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin
Hah! I knew it was just a matter of time.

This one, in fact -- build in progress:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gal...p?album_id=672

And, no, it's not a Sportsmobile. After much agonizing and back and forth, SWMBO decided she wanted a bit more room. It could easily have gone the other way, though. One of those things where you have a number of options, and finally pull the trigger on one of them.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin
Hah! I knew it was just a matter of time.

This one, in fact -- build in progress:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gal...p?album_id=672

And, no, it's not a Sportsmobile. After much agonizing and back and forth, SWMBO decided she wanted a bit more room. It could easily have gone the other way, though. One of those things where you have a number of options, and finally pull the trigger on one of them.
Alright, let's get that very interesting build documented in another thread, and let's get this For Sale thread back on track.

Herb
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Alright, let's get that very interesting build documented in another thread, and let's get this For Sale thread back on track.

Herb
Aye, aye Sir!
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The buyer can be assured that the vehicle has been checked out by a mechanic
Lies! SMB does nothing to verify the condition of the vehicle. For example you might drive 17 hours only to find the vehicle in question has a tiny 1500 miles more on the ODO (and off the warranty) than as listed. You might find that SMB's "absolutely pristine" condition remarks came wholly from word of mouth of the seller, the van having been slightly better used than indicated with several visual defects, small parts missing from some systems. It's possible the Check Engine Light will come on within a mile of the previous owner's driveway and cause you months of grief, a known condition repeatedly warrantied that wouldn't be fixed until the 5th or 6th failure in your ownership, one halfway across the country. Later, you might discover not only that the roof has a persistent intractable leak, but had actually been addressed by SMB on more than two occasions previous to your own inquiries on the vehicle. None of this may in any manner cause the seller to reduce the price by even a few hundred dollars to which SMB will not even offer sympathy for you garroting at their hands. (But I'm not mad anymore, I promise!)

Just one possible scenario. Buyer beware, always.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

Still healing eh?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The buyer can be assured that the vehicle has been checked out by a mechanic
Lies! SMB does nothing to verify the condition of the vehicle. For example you might drive 17 hours only to find the vehicle in question has a tiny 1500 miles more on the ODO (and off the warranty) than as listed. You might find that SMB's "absolutely pristine" condition remarks came wholly from word of mouth of the seller, the van having been slightly better used than indicated with several visual defects, small parts missing from some systems. It's possible the Check Engine Light will come on within a mile of the previous owner's driveway and cause you months of grief, a known condition repeatedly warrantied that wouldn't be fixed until the 5th or 6th failure in your ownership, one halfway across the country. Later, you might discover not only that the roof has a persistent intractable leak, but had actually been addressed by SMB on more than two occasions previous to your own inquiries on the vehicle. None of this may in any manner cause the seller to reduce the price by even a few hundred dollars to which SMB will not even offer sympathy for you garroting at their hands. (But I'm not mad anymore, I promise!)

Just one possible scenario. Buyer beware, always.
Lies? that's a strong accusation. Sounds like you have a beef with SMB West that I am unaware of.

Whatever, it is true that SMB West required the seller of my vehicle to have it checked out which cost him $120 at the local Ford dealer. At the very least it was safe to drive away. Could it have broken down one block away? Sure, but geez a gazillion things can go wrong on these vehicles. The buyer is always at the mercy of the seller and it behooves anyone who is interested in buying a used vehicle to do their homework and know which questions to ask while looking the seller in the eye.

How would you have SMB run their classifieds differently?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Everyone is pooping all over this guys For Sale add!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote