Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #201
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinBlaine View Post
Fascinating thread. We have been considering much of what is being discussed here, but we live in California and had not given consideration to the different regulations in each state.

Our travel protection is our 70 lb German Shepherd. She patrols the perimeter and virtually everyone gives her a lot of space. And if we are not paying attention, she lets us know when the perimeter is being breached...and she runs a big perimeter.

Last summer, while at a lightly-trafficked forest service campground near Capitol Reef, two suspect guys came waltzing into our camp. Wife grabbed dog by the collar and they sat in the van cargo doorway, dog with a low level growl the whole time. They made their way out of our camp quickly.

We like to think that even the bad guys don't want to mess with a big dog, there are other targets out there that don't include the hassle of the dog.
Great defensive tactic---a guard dog is certainly worth the feed!

I'd agree the dog is a wonderful deterrent if only due the noise they'd make---crooks don't want to draw attention. Since your dog also patrols her perimeter that's just one more advantage to the honest people. Not sure if she was trained that way or its instinctual regardless though its a useful and comforting trait.

I'm undecided how I feel about discouraging someone away from me only to think or know they'd target and perhaps do harm to someone else. Logically I know we're all responsible for our own personal safety but I'd like to think running someone off one camp would have them simply leave the area. Not sure how realistic that is so take it for what its worth---no much IOW.

I'm glad to read most here have some sort of plan when being remote.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinBlaine View Post
Our travel protection is our 70 lb German Shepherd.
In my opinion, there is no better protection. I would have a dog in a heart beat if only there was one that allowed you to place the dog food directly into the trash, without putting it through the dog first, but alas, that dog doesn't exist yet.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
In my opinion, there is no better protection. I would have a dog in a heart beat if only there was one that allowed you to place the dog food directly into the trash, without putting it through the dog first, but alas, that dog doesn't exist yet.
They're getting there...

https://www.bostondynamics.com/spot
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote