Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Dodge 4x4 camper van van charger

Hello

Can I get some insight on the value of this van? Iam having trouble locating similar vans online to compare to. I would like to know if the price is fair? And if it seems to be a good investment

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/lancaster-4x4-camper-van-dodge/6769334500.html

Adp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Neat "Vintage" 4WD Pathfinder Dodge van that "I" think is very kool and appears well thought out. As such suspension the Pathfinder 4WD conversion design and ride quality might also be 1984 in feel.

Since it's a Dodge van the van body itself is Uni-Body in construction with no separate frame like the Ford. Is that necessarily bad? No really however "I" would not think of it quite being as capable as a standard body Ford 4WD van conversion with a full frame.

IF you have the budget of $14K to purchase this van you also open up other alternatives for newer 4WD vans that may meet your needs. I'm not necessarily saying this van is not worth $14K however it is still a 35 year old van.

If you want a "Vintage" 4WD van this is certainly a VERY NICE 4WD Dodge van, well executed and ready to roll. Probably hard to get a late model 4WD van of any make/model rigged out like this van for $14K. It's also probably very hard to buy ANY 4WD van and outfit like this van for $14K!

I would definitely want to look at this van in person, drive it, feel it and see if a "Vintage" 4WD van is what you want. I don't think there is a ton of downside however a Dodge is more difficult to sell when you want to than a Ford van or Chevy van.

Don't look at this Dodge van as an "Investment" (your words). It's an expenditure so as with any other vehicle you buy you should also consider the value on the downside if and when you want to sell it.

If your'e good with that go for it!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
GAR

Word to the wise...

This is a nice looking van, however...

If you plan on having a van this old to travel to remote locations, especially off road, plan on having a sat phone to call for help when it won’t start, breakes down, or catches on fire.

Catches on fire? Yep, the new fuel sold today destroys the old gaskets and seals used in these older vans that were designed to run on pure gasoline with no added ethanol.

Ethanol fuels can swell the paper filter media found in fuel filters not designed especially for it. Ethanol is highly corrosive. It helps rust to form wherever air meets metal once submerged in it. Ethanol is also a solvent and it will disintegrate fiberglass, plastic, and rubber.

Also keep in mind that older vehicles are sometimes alot easier to steel. Plan on having something done to prevent this, especially if you plan on leaving the van to go on a hike, or visit cities and leave the van where it is an easy target for a thief.

There is a reason this guy is selling this vehicle to purchase a truck with a camper... -He is tired of chasing leaks, fixing it when it breaks, and being stranded far away from home. Yes, there are steps one can take on an older vehicle like this to mitigate the harm from ethanol fuels, but these steps are expensive. Then there is the fact that this thing will run great at sea level, and not so great at higher altitudes, and visa versa depending on how you jet/ adust the carburetor and or engine timing. Modern fuel injected vehicles with computer adjust all this for you. -I miss my old Chevy and Ford, kind of like I miss my X-wife, fun to drive, expensive to part with.

Then there is also the fact that many of the aftermarket replacement parts are made in China and often times just plain suck. The dealer will no longer make parts for this van, so you’re stuck buying whatever the aftermarket seller is offering.

Unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy getting dirty fixing your vehicles, I’d stay away from a camper van this old at any price.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

What a pant load.

How many 34 year old Dodges do you own and drive?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
What a pant load.

How many 34 year old Dodges do you own and drive?
If you have something positive to contribute go right ahead. Otherwise kissoff!

Gar
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #6

My 1984 Dodge B350 4x4 with the original engine at 134,000 mis happily
burning modern gas wading through lake Huron miles from nowhere.

Two dogs, lots of cold beer, wine, steaks and the whole enchilada.

Comments based on conjecture are merely prejudice.

Action leads to facts.Click image for larger version

Name:	Van lake-2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	24744
Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
My 1984 Dodge B350 4x4 with the original engine at 134,000 mis happily
burning modern gas wading through lake Huron miles from nowhere.

Two dogs, lots of cold beer, wine, steaks and the whole enchilada.

Comments based on conjecture are merely prejudice.

Action leads to facts.Attachment 24744
My comments were meant to give my experience dealing with older vehicles, not start a pissing contest with a guy that is emotionally attached to a vintage van that he rebuilt from the ground up.

You have no beef with me, I don’t know you, you don’t know me. You hijacked this thread because you got your feelings hurt? -Grow up!

Gar
Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #8

My opinion is that’s a sweet around town and local trip van. A couple hours out to the boonies at most. Sure you could take it cross country, but it’ll get 9 mpg. Sure you could take it way out somewhere super remote, but you might break something and then you’re stuck.

For $14k you can get something much newer. That guy started at $20k and has had no bites. My guess is he is in it about $20k and can’t get out, even at $14k. It’s nice, but not a great investment.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

[QUOTE=GAR;243175]My comments were meant to give my experience dealing with older vehicles, not start a pissing contest with a guy that is emotionally attached to a vintage van that he rebuilt from the ground up.

You have no beef with me, I don’t know you, you don’t know me. You hijacked this thread because you got your feelings hurt? -Grow up!

If Pntyrmvr got you this riled over his “pant load” remark, I urge you to never post your personal “thoughts” over on Pirate4x4...

To the OP. That is a very clean and seemingly well maintained van, and I do doubt you’ll find anything comparable for that kinda money. Personally I’d be factoring in redoing the interior, maybe a pop top while you’re at it. There’s something to be said about being able to put you’re pants on standing up.
If the carburetor makes you nervous, look into a fuel injection kit from Holley etc.. or maybe swap in a Magnum 5.9 motor from a newer truck/van. I think 86 or 87 started with simple TBI, then multi-port in 94? (Can’t remember off hand)
Anyhooo, good luck and happy hunting!
Junkpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Orv

Garage
Anything this old should be considered a DIY project. Even if it doesn't need much work at first, a vehicle this old will need more maintenance and it will nickel-and-dime you to death if you can't do it yourself.

The main seal leak will likely require pulling the transmission to fix -- you may want to take a pass if you're not willing to live with it. They often don't get worse very quickly, so it's mostly just a mess -- some people really don't like having a vehicle that "marks its spot" every time it's parked.

Having owned a lot of old vehicles, the only issue I've had from oxygenated fuel is it will rot fuel hoses faster. However, hoses that old will be rotten anyway, and should be replaced to avoid a fire hazard. (The new, replacement hose will be designed with ethanol in mind and will be fine.) You might also want to replace all the vacuum hoses, since when they harden with age they leak and cause running problems.

You should keep in mind that carbureted vehicles often have trouble passing California's emissions inspections. You should look up the van's test history to see if it has a history of failing. I've known people who would actually jet the carburetor lean just to pass emissions, then rejet it back for driveability, which is a hassle. Of course, if you'll be registering it in a state that doesn't have emissions testing, none of that matters.

Tags
4x4 van