Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Does color really matter?

I was just noticing that, in all these pictures of SMB's I've seen so far, I haven't seen any blue ones!

Looking at the "stock" Ford colors, I'm really liking the "dark blue pearl clearcoat metallic" color. It looks sweet, and I think it would go VERY well w/ black and/or chrome components.

But not having seen anyone else picking that color makes me wonder:

Is there a reason for that? Doesn't SMB offer all the stock Ford colors? Are certain colors harder to find replacement parts for?

More specifically, I'm wondering if there is more than just "personal preference" or "it's my favorite color" to the color choice, like:

- chose it to "blend" in more w/ where I'd be driving
- chose it so it wouldn't absorb so much heat
- chose it so it would absorb heat
- chose it so I didn't have to pay extra to get the PH top painted the same color
- etc...

So, if I may ask everyone: why did you choose your color over the other colors? Was there a "deeper" reason than just "I liked it"?

Thanks for participating in my color survey. LOL.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

Many buyers several years ago probably picked white to avoid the cost of painting the penthouse top. You'll also see a lot of silver and tan ones since they don't show dirt and dust as badly, especially on vans that don't stay in garages (ours is silver for that reason). Alan told me once that vans headed to Alaska tend to be darker colors to absorb heat. Likewise, it would seem that owners in hotter areas would tend to avoid dark colors.

We've seen some beautiful dark green SMBs but if we were to purchase a replacement for our van, we would probably pick silver again just due to the dirt issue...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #3

Personally, I would have picked silver, but one of the few requirements of my beloved was a "warm" interior color. Since we agreed on a light color, primarily for less heat absorbtion, and stock white was the only color that came with the warm tan interior, white it was. As a bonus, we saved the re-painting cost for the top.

We're very happy with the looks, as they is a nice contrast between the white and the black windows, trim, etc.

I assuaged my gried over losoing out on the silver exterior with the realization that when I'm around the van, I'm rarely looking at the van from outside.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
We picked white so it would help camouflage us during winter camping.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

I read someone's post a while back that he'd picked a dark color because he lived in the Pacific Northwest and wanted to attract heat.
Ours is Pueblo Gold, but it wasn't a choice, it was the van that was available. That said, mud, dust, etc. are pretty invisible and I've come to appreciate the color. Neither brown nor gold...a mystery.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I picked white for the heat and the fact of the van sitting in the sun (no cover). All of our vehicles at work are white and they seem to stand up well to sunlight. I have a black car and never again. Very difficult to keep clean but looks great when clean. I'm waiting for someone to do a camo van. I think a winter camo job would be very cool both heat wise, stealthy, and unique.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #7

Has anyone besides the Badgers put a wrap on their vehicle?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #8

VAN COLOR

While I really like my silver van, last summer it was all that was available. As Greg put it, "it's the last gasser on the (Ford) lot". (Until the '08's came out and I didn't want to wait that long)

Philrod

Silver '07 E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #9

Our "Baja" tan Sportsmobile is the only non-black vehicle I've ever owned, but the lighter color seemed to make sense for keeping the van cool. Oh, and for camouflage when in ... Baja!

-- Geoff
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Ha..... I thought of that when I posted. They would either leave you completely alone or come at ya at full coarse. Actually you might be safer in Mexico than here nowadays. But no plans for south of the border for me. It would be one of a kind, just don't pack.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote