Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #21

Re: Doofas time. Any body else do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I've driven off with my Aluminess tire carrier and galley box still open. Fortunately I noticed it before they swung into something or slammed shut.
Me too! I’m always jumping back out and double checking the latches after I’ve had the back doors open.

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I've driven off with my Aluminess tire carrier and galley box still open. Fortunately I noticed it before they swung into something or slammed shut.
Me too! I’m always jumping back out and double checking the latches after I’ve had the back doors open.
Yep

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #23

Our Norcold refrigerator’s pin does not always hold the door securely. It crashes open randomly and unexpectedly, tossing the carefully packed food Tetris onto the floor. We solved that problem with an industrial-strength piece of Velcro strapping. Just have to remember to always use it!

Also, by the way, you don’t want to store your beer bottles on their sides in the fridge and drive over a bumpy, twisty, high mountain pass. It turns out that the caps they put on beer bottles don’t keep the beer in real well under these conditions. To quote Mike of Ford_6L_E350 fame: Don't even ask how I know that. They don’t break but you end up with a lot of half empty bottles with the caps still in place plus a big mess.
JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #24

I just noticed this post has a little over 500 views and only 20 replies. Hmmmm?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I just noticed this post has a little over 500 views and only 20 replies. Hmmmm?
Assuming no duplicate views or replies, this could mean there are 480 smart SMB owners and 20 doofas SMB owners. Or, there are 20 honest SMB owners and at least 480 dishonest owners.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #26

Doofas time. Any body else do this?

I'm going with option B. come on everybody, you can share. If you don't, I'll be feeling dumber and dumber.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #27

I have viewed this post a few times so it might be down to 475 now and so far touch wood I have not done anything more then leave the side window open that I can remember. And yes I would admit to all of you. Of course that could change now that I said this. I don't have much to go wrong really. No Pop Top, my ARB fridge you cant really leave open, it mounts on a slide system I built but if its out its in the way of packing and getting in the side doors. I am freakishly careful of my porta pottie for obvious reasons. Everything else stores in bins under the bed. I am a bit of a triple checker though.

I need a check list for my check list, you get the idea, did I close the garage door? Better go back and see. I have been told I have ADHD and some other stuff with initials or acronyms but I am not, hey there's a cat, I wonder if its hungry, what was I saying?

That said I did almost sink one of my boats one spring first time out that year... something about a little plug in the transom needing to be installed before you actually put the boat In the water...good thing the trailer was still in the water...a 3/4 inch hole lets in a lot of water fast in case you were wondering...Don't try this at home, take my word for it...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #28

Here is a little sobering Honesty !
I have probably done everything previously posted in some way or another at some time somewhere in one of our vehicles and the scary part is I consider myself very organized ! I sometimes wonder if it has something to do with the 60's and 70's ?
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #29

OK I'll fess up. My favorite doofas move was back when I had my S-10 pickup. I was towing my boat down to run the Santiam just south of Salem. I got to the meet point at the takeout and while I was waiting for other boaters to show up I noticed I hadn't latched the trailer hitch to the ball. My safety lock was no where to be found. It hadn't survived the 100 mile drive. I did have the safety chains in place but the trailer stayed with me the whole time. Then there was the time on the Deschutes where I did the same thing. All I can say about both of those is it's a good thing to be a slow, smooth and very lucky driver.

Knock on wood I've stayed away from the Doofas moves with Gnarvan. But I realize it's not if but when something happens where I earn the right to brand a large Doofas on my forehead.

Doofas moves at work in a big truck don't count for this thread do they?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #30

Admissions of human error (most, more than once):

- strained to manually lift the penthouse without opening any windows (it doesn't work for me)
- had the frig door swing open
- failed to secure an inside load (misc. small single items or tote bags)
- turned off the engine before putting shifting to park
- left a back window open that I didn't want open while driving
- failed to turn on the propane system (main valve)
- failed to turn off the propane system (main valve)

There's probably more I'm forgetting...
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote