Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #1

Drop down DVD suggestions

I want to add a overhead DVD player for my little one but I am having some trouble finding the best way. I went to car toys and they said they couldn't put one in because it would be in the drivers line of site so I am trying to figure out a way that would work. I have a converted passenger van so the side walls are out, I also have a penthouse top so that limits my placements. What I am thinking is trying to find a DVD player that the screen swivels around 180 degrees so I can install the player backward. That way it won't be in the line of site and it should be legal. I have found a few things on here but no specifics. Any suggestions, brands, etc, would be great.

Thanks

Jeremy

jhensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Drop down DVD suggestions

I've got a portable one from audiovox but it sounds like you're after something hard mounted in the front passenger seat area. Is that correct?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #3

Just a thought: look for options that aren't connected to the vehicle.

After spending small fortune after small fortune on rear entertainment systems in my last three family vehicles, I decided to go with iPod Touches for all my friends. No more arguments over what to watch. Can move from vehicle to vehicle. Way more options for entertainment. Cheaper.

I rest my case.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
... I decided to go with iPod Touches for all my friends. No more arguments over what to watch. Can move from vehicle to vehicle. Way more options for entertainment. Cheaper.

I rest my case.
So...are we your friends?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #5

I would like to get an overhead DVD, the hand held option is nice, but wouldn't work for my little one. As for the in seat option I don't think you can get a big enough screen. I have the Westy style set up (RB 50 I think) and you sit pretty far from the front seats.
jhensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

At the risk of appearing contentious, what ever happened to looking out the window at the wonders around us? As children, we were involved with everything that went on outside, and could identify all the cars and license plates and were taught about the capitols and what each state was known for. I'm REALLY not trying to make moral judgements about how people raise their kids, but it seems like we've lost some intra-generational communication with the proliferation of electronic gadgets.
Again, this wasn't meant to be a personal indictment against anyone, just a comment on the changing society.
Also, of course, it's easy for me to make these comments as we didn't have all that stuff back when the Earth was cooling.
Bill
Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #7

I hear that, getting to punch your brother in the arm when you spot a VW bug while playing Slug Bug.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #8

I am also interested in a drop down DVD and I also have an RB50. Not for while under way, but for those crappy, windy, cold nights to watch movies on. Anyone?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

FWIW
Looking over my old build information, one of the options that we didn't pick was the DVD package. At that time Rob at I.A. (SMB West A/V subcontractor) was recommending Eiger Vision.
http://eigervision.net/overhead_video

We are really happy we didn't go with the video package, but then again we don't have kids that need the entertainment.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote