Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammyauto
Joanna, I still don't think you'll need the extra fuel. From what I have gathered the 6.0 uses about .5 to .8 gallons per hour idling. Even if you round that up to 1 gallon per hour and assume only 35 gallons available to you from a full tank that's 35 hours total. You should be able to creep along in stop and go traffic for over a day!
I'm stuck inside today watching them fight the gap fire which is about 1.75 miles from my house currently. Tankers flying very low overhead. Too smokey to be outside. SMB loaded and ready if the need arises. Photo albums and personal papers onboard.
Seth,

Good to hear you're prepared just in case. We have some haze here in Ventura, but come on south if you want to get out of harm's way. I did notice the 101 northbound was crawling slow, so I expect the same for the souhbound, at least between Santa Barbara and Summerland. I don't have room in my front yard for my SMB let alone another one, but there's plenty of room on the street if you need anything.

Herb

Old 07-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #52

Thanks for the offer Herb. I'm going to stick around as long as possible. Hopefully they get this thing under control before lots of people lose thier homes. Even though I could become threated eventually right now I'm enjoying the action as I have a great view from my house.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #53

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Hopefully you and your house will stay safe, Jammy.

I think a good percentage of Sportmobiles -- at least on the west coast -- are used, if not purchased, as part of someones evacuation/contingency plan. Not sure if that makes us a well prepared bunch or we just pick bad places to live.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #54

Seth,
Be careful and stay safe.

I was on the Camino Cielo Road (East) last weekend came out at the 154, near the painted cave. Also took the Refugio Pass road from Los Olivos to the ocean. Is the fire at or around the Camino Cielo Road?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #55

the fire is just below west camino cielo and west of 154. If it jumps 154 then I'll be very concerned
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #56
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammyauto
Not trying to offend anyone but I'm just wondering why you folks want to carry around diesel fuel. I've traveled all around Baja and Death Valley and other remote spots and never found my range to be an issue. My SMB can go minimum 400 miles on a tank.

Most of the time I don't carry fuel or water. Usually it's loaded with wood. But there are times when I want fuel on board. One reason is my heater shuts down at 1/4 tank so its a little added backup. Second, most of my runs are out of a basecamp. Being able to stay an extra day before looking for fuel is nice. It also makes me feel better if I'm running low. Water for me is not too much of an issue. 15 gallons is enough for several showers (two people) so I have room for two extra fuel tanks if not hauling wood. I have 3 UN cans but would rather have 2 more yellow jerry cans. No problems with diesel locked up in a black box while it's hot out but I agree that gasoline would be another thing to consider. As far as weight, my bumper has 4 hinges to comp for the weight. I figure the standard bumper is designed for 4 jerry cans but I keep it as light as I can anyway.

DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote