Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #1

E350 with 200k any expected issuesi should be careful with

I might have a chance to purchase a 99 E350 that has 200k miles. Looking a putting the 4wheel conversion and pop top. Quite a bit money for a older rig however and hear such great things about the 7.3 last forever. Any issues I should be concerned about before I buy and drop the money in? What repairs should I be expecting?

pburg212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Garage
I have a low mileage 7.3 for sale already has high top and 4wd.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d...671326954.html
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Don't fall for the "7.3L lasts forever" hype....

While the motor may, everything else around it including the injection system won't. Be aware that those ancillary systems can be $$ to repair and maintain, so your purchase should be priced accordingly. An HPOP and injectors can easily run more than replacing a gas motor. Is it guaranteed you'll need that work? Absolutely not. But if previous fuel and oil conditions are unknown, you're chances of needed invasive injection system work go way up.

Also, the 7.3L is a little hard on transmissions. If that one hasn't been rebuilt yet, plan on doing it.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

If you're going to put that much money into a rig, I would try to start with the cleanest, lowest mile van you can afford. If you put that much money into it then need to sell it down the road with even more miles on it, the next buyer will have the same if not more hesitations that you are having due to the high miles.

If the seller of your prospective van has a stack of maintenance receipts, then you can mitigate some of the uncertainties that might come up.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

Very nice! I have a question on your variable chip. I have a Bully Dog set up. Do you have a Pyrometer set up on yours? I get high EGT's on my 75 HP setting and worse on my 100 HP. I was just wondering because our models are not inter-cooled. I have a Frieghtliner truck business class intercooler I have been wanting to insert behind my winch bumper but I was wondering if you had high EGT's as well? I never stay in it when I switch up but it is pointless to have if I can not use the selection on grades!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

I paid $5000 for my Yolanda.

2003 E350 7.3 cargo 211K

I test drove her..trans was flawless, fluid good didnt smell burned (burned smell is really hard to get rid of even with multiple fluid changes)

Sofar I have had no suprises other than some leaking rear AC lines and aluminum coolant lines weird corrosion..

Cheap 7.3 are around..found her on cars.com..drove 2 hours to see her...
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer-RRORC View Post
I paid $5000 for my Yolanda.

2003 E350 7.3 cargo 211K

I test drove her..trans was flawless, fluid good didnt smell burned (burned smell is really hard to get rid of even with multiple fluid changes)

Sofar I have had no suprises other than some leaking rear AC lines and aluminum coolant lines weird corrosion..

Cheap 7.3 are around..found her on cars.com..drove 2 hours to see her...
That is ridiculous! You will not find another for twice, there again depending on the body condition, rust beat up ect... for 5k I would have bought for yard art!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote