Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: ERS provider?
AAA RV 4 36.36%
Good Sam's Club ERS 1 9.09%
your vehicle insurance provider's ERS 2 18.18%
I'm a Master mechanic and I'll never need it 1 9.09%
none of the above 2 18.18%
none (fingers crossed) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Emergency Road Service

I was wondering who everyone uses for Emergency Road Service (ERS) if stranded on the road? I've heard that unless you opt for special AAA coverage, they do not cover RV's. Therefore I'm debating on whether or not to get their special coverage, or just go with Good Sam's Club ERS.

Herb

Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #2

You need straight ol' AAA on there. It ain't no class C or class A, to them it's just a van. If you can keep from explaining to them what a cool compact RV vehicle it is you'll probably do fine with AAA.

Plus you get free maps which can't be beat.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Well another twist is if you're towing. With AAA, if they can accomodate a seoncd vehicle (trailer), I think you'll get dinged for TWO service calls. They may also force you to leave your towed vehicle to be picked up at some later time. With Good Sam, they will accomodate both the tow rig and trailer. FYI, this is all secondhand (at best) info from RV discussion boards; just trying to find any firsthand info.

Herb
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #4

I’ve called AAA twice and both times I was disappointed. My first call was for my 2002 SMB 4X4 RB50 with a flat tire on Highway 17. AAA was out in 20 minutes to tell me that the van looked too heavy and they would not change the tire because they have a 9,000 pound limit, and left. I used the stock jack and changed the tire myself.

The second call to AAA was two weeks ago when the nearly new 06 SMB 4X4 RB 50 wouldn’t climb Highway 17 at a speed greater than 5mph. About an hour later AAA showed up to tell me that the van height would exceed the 14' limit on the flat bed and they have a 10, 000 pound hauling limit. He was right, the SMB height plus the flatbed height measured 14'2". So, I told him that my 10,400 pound SMB weighed 9,400, removed the space case from the top, placed it inside the van. He then loaded the van, measured the distance from the ground to the top of the van and off we went. We drove about 2 miles and he wanted to pull over and unload the van because he felt it was unsafe. I was able to talk him into the rest of the 24 mile, $148 trip.
The driver suggested that the next time I call for a large tow truck with a dolly. He said he would never load a van like mine again.

As it turns out, a blocked fuel filter. Maybe the Bio-diesel?

I do like the AAA maps.

Ralph

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burklin
I’ve called AAA twice and both times I was disappointed. My first call was for my 2002 SMB 4X4 RB50 with a flat tire on Highway 17. AAA was out in 20 minutes to tell me that the van looked too heavy and they would not change the tire because they have a 9,000 pound limit, and left. I used the stock jack and changed the tire myself.

The second call to AAA was two weeks ago when the nearly new 06 SMB 4X4 RB 50 wouldn’t climb Highway 17 at a speed greater than 5mph. About an hour later AAA showed up to tell me that the van height would exceed the 14' limit on the flat bed and they have a 10, 000 pound hauling limit. He was right, the SMB height plus the flatbed height measured 14'2". So, I told him that my 10,400 pound SMB weighed 9,400, removed the space case from the top, placed it inside the van. He then loaded the van, measured the distance from the ground to the top of the van and off we went. We drove about 2 miles and he wanted to pull over and unload the van because he felt it was unsafe. I was able to talk him into the rest of the 24 mile, $148 trip.
The driver suggested that the next time I call for a large tow truck with a dolly. He said he would never load a van like mine again.

As it turns out, a blocked fuel filter. Maybe the Bio-diesel?

I do like the AAA maps.

Ralph
The problem with all these services, is that they are dependent on the quality of subcontractors answering the service calls. I would expect an RV-centric service would be better prepared for large vehicles.

The AAA maps are good, but the DMV service at my local AAA is worth it's weight in gold. If nothing else, I'll probably keep my AAA for that reason alone. Haven't decided on the ERS yet.

Herb
Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #6

Service

I lost you there Herb. What's DMV again?
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #7

DMV == BMV == MVD

There may be others- essentially the place you go to get your license and argue about how much tax you should be paying on your SMB
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Re: Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
I lost you there Herb. What's DMV again?
Sorry, Department of Motor Vehicles in Calif. Calif DMV has "substations" at many of the Calif AAA offices. I've probably never waited more than 10 minutes at a AAA DMV office, versus an hour or more at the actual DMV offices.

Herb
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #9

Good Sam

See my latest post in Towing and toys forum.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote