Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Emergency roadside service via text messaging?

I know I started a long thread on ERS and our vans a year or so ago, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11227&hilit=emergency+roadside +assistance

This time I'm interested in another aspect. I'm trying to find out which, if any, of the ERS providers that will tow our vans can be contacted via SMS texting.

Here's why: first, texting when you're in an area of marginal cell reception works better than voice. Second, it can use less juice than voice (if you've ever been in such a situation you know that you can turn on the phone for a brief period, collect messages, then switch off. Voicemail can work with this, but doesn't seem as efficient. But maybe that's my ATT...). Third, usually there are long periods on hold. Fourth, many devices can send SMS messages with GPS generated by the phone or pictures or maps.

Finally, there are now satellite communication devices that do text. Specifically, I'm thinking of the DeLorme Explorer. Even if you have a regular sat phone, texting is often cheaper and better for some of the same reasons. More and more 911 centers and emergency numbers, BTW, are accepting cell calls (although I just read of one where the caller had to text back the 911 operator on HER cell). In any case, the DeLorme doesn't do voice.

The SPOT folks sell their own version of ERS, and contract with somebody who in turn contracts with some tow guys somewhere, and essentially acts as a dispatcher. As most providers, like your insurer or even AAA in some instances, do. Not sure what the terms are for their service; didn't find them easily on their website (and see the thread cited above for more issues regarding towing our vans and whether you are as covered as you think you are).

Although DeLorme provides, as part of their service, towing if you are in boat (USBoating), they informed they don't have such for us. They thought it was a nice idea though....

So, anyone know of an ERS provider that can be contacted via SMS?

So far, no response from my provider, SoCal AAA.

Rob

Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

Re: Emergency roadside service via text messaging?

Good Sam got back to me. They require voice to use ERS.

Crossing them off list.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

You could always text friends or family to have them call ERS.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Not always, which is a pretty critical element. Middle of the night, they aren't answering, etc etc.

I DO like that I could do that with the DeLorme device as opposed to the SPOT, but not enough.

Maybe I should start one however. Some call center that goes 24/7 with a toll free number that accepts text, and you sign up and register your rig and your ERS plan's contact number. Then they just relay the message like the TTY relay services that exist (I assume they still do) I've used with hearing disabled people.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Not always, which is a pretty critical element. Middle of the night, they aren't answering, etc etc.

I DO like that I could do that with the DeLorme device as opposed to the SPOT, but not enough.

Maybe I should start one however. Some call center that goes 24/7 with a toll free number that accepts text, and you sign up and register your rig and your ERS plan's contact number. Then they just relay the message like the TTY relay services that exist (I assume they still do) I've used with hearing disabled people.
If it is the middle of the night, you can wait until the morning, assuming you have sufficient, food water and shelter. If your situation is more critical, then you press the emergency button.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
If it is the middle of the night, you can wait until the morning, assuming you have sufficient, food water and shelter. If your situation is more critical, then you press the emergency button.
Perhaps. I'm still reluctant to enlist friends and relatives as tow dispatchers, however. I've been on the other end of that more than a couple of times and it's a PITA.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Perhaps. I'm still reluctant to enlist friends and relatives as tow dispatchers, however. I've been on the other end of that more than a couple of times and it's a PITA.
Most of the ERS's want to have some kind of conversation with the person calling. Even 911 over SMS is very slowly coming in.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Boy, they sure do, since most are just call centers not specific to the service (ie whether you use State Farm or AAA you may get someone in Miami, who basically gets on another line and starts calling from a list of towing contractors and such). And of course they determine your eligibility.

But if SPOT can do it, I don't see why other services can't. And SPOT Assist is only one-way texting. With I assume a pre-set message. AAA allows you to contact ERS with an app, without voice. I don't know whether a voice phone is required, since they won't answer my emails about it. They do have TDD/TRS, for hearing impaired people, which is a version of text.