Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #51

Re: Empty SMB weighs same as GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
So I have been researching the drawbacks of having a vehicle over 10,000lb GVWR. The only drawback I could come up with is the towing. Can anyone else tell me what other drawbacks there would be. There are no license retrictions applied, as the SMB is usually changed to a Motorhome/ recreactional vehicle.
The drawbacks of being over 10,000# (but within GVWR ratings) that I know of are:

- The earlier mentioned issue with AAA towing limitations. Probably applies to any flatbed tow truck.

- I have seen weigh stations that require ALL VEHICLES OVER 10,000# MUST WEIGH. This depends on how willing you are to drive on by and see if they will hunt you down.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #52

True enough but few of the state have invested in the weight classification equipment that allows them to know that you are over 10K either before or after you pass the station. I used to own a company that invented and made this technology, which we successfully sold all over the world except the US. Here it is perceived as a snooping/privacy issue and where it was installed it had to be removed. It consisted of rubber sheets with sensors between them that when compressed by the weight of the wheels crossing at given intervals could give the operator or recorder an instant classification of axle and vehicle gross weight.

With that said it was not accurate enough to distinguish at speed the difference between say 9750#s and say 10750. And this is not really the problem with SMB vehicles. Its the guys who are driving 10000# vehicles with 12000 or more, which is fairly unlikely to happen with an SMB.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #53

Yes AAA will not tow if you are using their regular membership. Since my SMB is considered a MH/ RV I upgraded to the RV tow membership. Most SMB would have to have the RV package to get towed by AAA.

You do not have to stop at those scales. RV's are exempt as they are not commercial/ trucks. I will let them run me down and correct me if some state is different.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
You might want to wiegh your rig sailquik. Things add up in a hurry. I was a little surprised on mine. I'm still under gross, but not by much.
Well, I drove by a scale today and the curiosity got the better of me (and cost me $9). My gross weight is 8640#, 860# below the GVWR. This was full of windsurfing gear, 3 windsurf boards inside +2 stand-up paddle boards on the roof, full water and fuel, full fridge and with two people and a long haired Chihuahua on board.

So I guess next time I go camping I can take my teenagers along, or I can go easy on myself and just buy more windsurfing gear.

sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik

Well, I drove by a scale today and the curiosity got the better of me (and cost me $9). My gross weight is 8640#, 860# below the GVWR. This was full of windsurfing gear, 3 windsurf boards inside +2 stand-up paddle boards on the roof, full water and fuel, full fridge and with two people and a long haired Chihuahua on board.

So I guess next time I go camping I can take my teenagers along, or I can go easy on myself and just buy more windsurfing gear.
So Sailquik, how does your SMB's actual (loaded) weight compare to your door jamb sticker?

Herb
Old 09-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
So Sailquik, how does your SMB's actual (loaded) weight compare to your door jamb sticker?
Herb
Door Sticker
GAWR (Front) 4400
GAWR (Rear) 6084
GVWR (Total) 9500

Actual Gross Weights:
Front 4220
Rear 4420
Total 8640
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #57
Site Team

Garage

A SMB is not a singularity like a bridge spanning a specific body of water. There isn’t a federal inspector looking each and every part of the vehicle. A boat or especially a plane is a different story; failure to load these correctly could likely cause a major incident. But a slightly overloaded vehicle? What about the 72VW van my buddy had that could be overloaded? We loaded that sucker down and went camping all the time and it was a stock vehicle. People sue for any reason they can think of nowadays if they believe they can make it stick. If there was a fatality concerning any vehicle I’m sure someone’s nose is gonna be where it shouldn’t, but I do wonder if a person would try to sue on such flimsy evidence of thinking your rig is a thousand pounds over weight. These are reasons for tort reform IMO. Someone will have to prove that the incident happened because of the extra weight. If you grossly over load the van to a point that something literally breaks due to too much weight that’s a different story. How could a lawyer prove that a van that’s 2000 pound overloaded (per the door sticker) failed to stop due to weight when you can pull a heavy trailer that has no brakes behind a van that poses more of a problem in stopping the vehicle? OK yeah they probably can….I do believe in the deep pocket rule. If you got the bucks you’re a target. I know I have the right to remain silent and the door sticker can and will be used against me in a court of law, but I hope it’s not such a big deal.

I think of it this way:
My vehicle is a redesigned van, not a stock van. It has some stronger components in the suspension not to mention that I’ve been proactive with adding a brake upgrade and going from D rated tires to E rated tires. The vehicle is not something from the Grapes Of Wrath flying down the road at 80 MPH.

…..But if I do get in a jam will you guys come to my defense and send the court E-Mails to help me out? Just leave out the part about the fact I like Beer. I knew I shouldn’t have installed those twin keg-er-ators.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #58

Daveb, I hope those twin kegerators are E rated, unless you are drinking light beer, of course.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #59

Weighted Wilson yesterday

9670 pounds
full gas tanks
generator
front & rear aluminess
two 180 watt kyoceras solar panels
5 grocery packs of wood
inflatable kayak
roll up table
chairs
XL storage full with stove, jack, compressor etc
and me at 175# ( well maybe a bit more
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #60

I weighed mine--10,000# packed but with no people.

Salem Kroger is going to apply to somewhere with my vin #for a new weight limit and will attach it to my vehicle next time I am there. He can do that since he did my 4X4

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote