Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Ever heard of "4 Wheel Parts store"

Found a place called 4 wheel parts that sells on and off road stuff for Vans.
Wanted to know if anyone has experience buying and having them install the items?
Stuff like nerf bars, light bars, lights, wheels and tires and such.

any feedback would be great as they seem to have shops all over CA.

thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Re: Ever heard of "4 Wheel Parts store"

I've bought stuff from them. I've never had them install anything before though.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Team

My view is that they're fine to order parts from, but not much more than that. I wouldn't have them work on any of my vehicles. I will caveat that with saying that's based on a lot of second-hand knowledge, not first-hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt.

Herb
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #4

They're kind of like the Walmart / Musician's Friend of off-roading gear. They usually have the best price (online) for the most mainstream of mainstream stuff.

I've bought plenty of stuff from them. Usually generic items like tow straps, shackles, that type of stuff. Also the ARB bumper for my Taco came from there for a few hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere else. Shipping is free if you pick stuff up at one of their stores, and that makes a huge difference on something like a bumper.

Good prices, decent selection, brand names. You're supporting a huge corporation though...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

Depends on which shop you go to.

The 4WeelParts shop in Temecula did part of my lift / UJoint conversion.
Rebuilt and swapped in a sterliing 10.5/ with 4.10 gears and an ARB locker.
installed/wired 2 OBA systems
replaced a bad 'brand new' Warn hub in the UJoint front axle from Chris. [i believe they took care of the warranty or they sent it back to Chris]
wheels and tires, bushwackers... etc.
Their in-house brand is Pro Comp.

Also within 20K miles my front rotors were warped bad, so i had them replaced with slotted and vented rotors with new pads at 4WheelParts.

Of course it helps if your buddy and neighbor is the guy running the shop, so I kinda lucked out.
When I told him my plans to build a 4x4 van he wanted in on the project.
He took really good care of me and my van during it's time in his shop. It was the first van they had done themselves. Though they have worked on a couple in the past.
All the guys there seem to pride themselves on their work, but like most places they won't always be perfect, as long as they make it right in the end.

Shoot even a highly rated diesel shop here in south OC who has worked on my van a number of times provided some pretty shoddy work the last time i was there... so you just never really know, but its good that you ask and research a bit.

ps... sorry your ujoint van/cummings project didn't work out! i was watching and waiting to see how that thing turned out! Also I had '98 Integra Type R decked out with Comptech stuff, loved that thing and wish i still had it! as well as my '02 E46 M3... this van is my daily driver for now but i'm itching to get back into something a lot more sporty for my daily commute.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I had them do my Dynatrac pro steer ball joint kit. I was a bit worried but they did a fantastic job. I'm sure each shop can vary in experience but the shop close to me does tons of work for off roader's. My kit was installed for $1K and the axle seals and bearing were replaced. Been fine for over 9k miles.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Team

I just had them install a 12,000 pound winch in my Aluminess bumper this morning. I have purchased several off road items from them in the past and had them put on my fender flares. No problems.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

workmanship prob varies by region, but they are a good source for all sorts of off road parts. I purchased from my local one here and had them install air bags and shocks before removing them and having them install my deaver springs I ordered up, no issues.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

One of the Denver stores did my Jeep long arm. No complaints, although it seemed pricey coming from doing everything myself. They dealt with my Atlas II even though it wasn't part of the lift, and later put a custom HD bracket on the front axle where the stock was tearing.

I'd be a bit leery that they don't know vans, and while they may have done back to back F-series glam lifts for weeks straight, they may not realize some of the van issues. Still with a kit like UJOR, I'd expect them to be competent- well like REF said, it probably varies by region. Unless the local 4wp has horrible customer service complaints and rants online, I'd trust them with my rig.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

Each shop has a personality, the one in Oakland, California was friendly and helpful and recommended a way to have custom steps made for my van from one of their vendors. They installed them the same day they arrived and even changed out the cheap bolts with the kit with nice stainless ones without charge.