Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Exclusionary RV Extended Warranty thoughts

Any opinions on purchasing an RV extended warranty when buying a new Sprinter Campervan?

Just put down money on a new camper sprinter 4x4 and I opted for the 72 month exclusionary warranty for $6675. It will cover both engine/chassis as well as the RV manufacturers build out. I'mB not locked in to it yet so have been doing research and trying to get better grasp as to whether it's worth it or not.

More I think about it the more i'm unsure.

Since it runs concurrent to the MB warranty and the RV manufacturers 1 year warranty it's essentially a 3 year extended on the Van itself and 5 years on the Camper portion.

I won't be driving the Van too too much, probably about 5K miles per year so I'm not sure how much wear and tear it will get in 6 years. I do a lot of desert trips and will be doing more Baja trips. So essentially roughtfire roads mostly.

I also opted for a tire option at $675 for 60 months that replaces flats. same logic, I will maybe get a flat every two years likely so not sure if this is worth it either.

Sounds like Sprinter diesel's repair costs can get a little high and have read some issues with higher mileage exhaust systems going bad that gets very costly as well.

I do plan to keep this van for atleast 6 years as well.

Should I just wait after three years and just get an extended warranty on the sprinter van portion or is that even possible withe a converted van?

Thoughts?

rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

What are the actual exclusions in the contract? Beware those companies often try to pull a quick one, by making the brochure language very inclusive, but the contract will have many exclusions you may never expect. Some big ones to watch out for consequential damage, sensors, & carbon buildup.

Also, that tire care package sounds like you're really just pre-paying for a few tires... And it might not be worth anything if you upgrade to a better tire, since they will probably only spring for an OEM equivalent tire.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

Yeah, I was looking over the brochure today and it didn't cover the actual exclusions. the warranty is through USA Travel and it's their best warranty option. I've reached out to them to get details on the exclusions.

The van does come with the upgraded wheel/tire option which is the method wheels with BFG All Terrain ko2's. I think they are 245 r17's which aren't cheap tires by any means, but wiht the low miles i'm putting on the van I'm think tingo just cancel that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
What are the actual exclusions in the contract? Beware those companies often try to pull a quick one, by making the brochure language very inclusive, but the contract will have many exclusions you may never expect. Some big ones to watch out for consequential damage, sensors, & carbon buildup.

Also, that tire care package sounds like you're really just pre-paying for a few tires... And it might not be worth anything if you upgrade to a better tire, since they will probably only spring for an OEM equivalent tire.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

This is the brochure that was given to me as well:

https://76izu33329h1qgvg68bl5l28-wpe...hure_11_18.pdf
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Exclusionary Coverage: All repairs except those items listed under the – What This Agreement Does Not Cover section in the vehicle service contract.
That could be a pretty substantial "except".
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

yeah, I'm waiting on that list now. Told the dealership i wouldn't finalize this until i had plenty of time to review the actual agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That could be a pretty substantial "except".
Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator View Post
yeah, I'm waiting on that list now. Told the dealership i wouldn't finalize this until i had plenty of time to review the actual agreement.
Typically such warranties sold by the dealership don't benefit anyone but the dealership---they're exceptionally high profit items whose real-life value is questionable at best.

Who administers this warranty? Who does the inspection after an issue is discovered, who is paid for repairs? Does this warranty require you to pay the repairs and wait for reimbursement? Any online info about those who already own this sort of policy and their experience with it in actual use? Is this same policy available through anyone else except dealerships?

Sure there's a chance costly repairs will crop up during your six years anticipated ownership---we all have that risk of any new product we buy. OTOH buying that warranty is a 100% sure way to lose a lot of money that has a low chance of paying off in the future.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

Yeah, after a ton more research and finding nothing but horror stories with the parent company of USA travel care, I called yesterday and told them to leave both the warranty and tire insurance off the paperwork when I go into sign.

I'll likely just get the extended MBZ warranty from MBZ directly after the 3 years are up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Typically such warranties sold by the dealership don't benefit anyone but the dealership---they're exceptionally high profit items whose real-life value is questionable at best.

Who administers this warranty? Who does the inspection after an issue is discovered, who is paid for repairs? Does this warranty require you to pay the repairs and wait for reimbursement? Any online info about those who already own this sort of policy and their experience with it in actual use? Is this same policy available through anyone else except dealerships?

Sure there's a chance costly repairs will crop up during your six years anticipated ownership---we all have that risk of any new product we buy. OTOH buying that warranty is a 100% sure way to lose a lot of money that has a low chance of paying off in the future.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #9

Even the MBZ warranty can be price shopped.