Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #1

Extreme Air Output

I have the extreme air compressor on an 07 rb50. This has a tank under the drivers side, which must be storage, although I think I was supplied the chuck which is flow-thru. Is any familiar with this system and can I increase my tire airup/refill time by going to a 3/8 inch diameter hose?
The only available air chucks are 1/4 in. so the air will be restricted there, but won't I have more volume (faster) to the tank? Any thoughts, and have you folks waited a specified amount of time between tires to allow the compressor to catch up. Airing up BFG 285's/16, I see mine rated at 4 cfm.
Any tips appreciated.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #2

Patrick - On my older van I had a similar setup. You won't really find much difference in air flow with a larger hose as the compressor is not putting out that much air. I think you'll find that if you bypass the storage tank and go directly from the compressor to the hose, that you'll fill all four tires faster. The storage tank is good for a large quanity of air to seat a tire or a quick run of an air tool. With filling four tires, once the tank is down to the tire pressure, the compressor has to fill both the tank and your tire. Takes longer. I think if you do a search on this forum you'll find a post where someone did some plumbing to bypass their tank. A valve or two will give you the option of having the tank in the system or bypassing it when you need more air then the tank can supply.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #3

Garage
I have the ExtremeAir Magnum and the 2.5 gal tank.

Mine didn't work well from the start and wouldn't provide anything over 30 psi. I was not happy. Somehow, I didn't think it was the compressor at fault. I finally disconnected all the plumbing and found the compressor putting out the proper air (150 psi on a few moments). I traced the problem to the check valve, that I specifically requested and don't know if it is included with a standard install. It was crapped out. The tiny plastic cage that surrounds the steel ball was broken. I saw it was made in china. It weas junk. I replaced it with a nice larger one of solid brass with a larger teflon ball and o-rings. I mounted it directly on the tank input. I then added a quick release to the output of the compressor and ran the hose to the checkvalve. there is a quick release under the tank, and I had SMB locate a second one inside the trashcan compartment on my 50 interior. I also rigged up another splitter to get two outside QD's and a pressure gauge that pops into the underside QD to monitor pressure, but normaly stays inside the van. I have two long curly hoses and two fat straight hoses onboard to operate my air/hydraulic jack and air ratchet driver. This stuff is all pretty handy for blowing dust and debris out of the van, cleaning clothing and shoes. I also keep an air grinder/abrasive cutoff wheel in my bag of tricks.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

If you're running directly from the compressor you want to be careful not to close the system, whereas from the tank you want a closed system. In other words you should have a flow through chuck from the compressor and a sealing chuck from the tank. I believe it's pretty bad for the compressor to stall and with just an air tube the system reaches high pressure quickly, whereas if your chuck lets air escape (what I'm calling a flow through, not sure of the termonology) your tank will not fill very quickly, nor hold air with the chuck attached.

A "proper" system in my opinion should have open connections on the compressor and closed connections on the tanks. Hoses can be reversed and I carry adaptors (male to male and female to female) so I can make connections for whichever, but it saves from making mistakes- I've always been worried about frying my compressor or blowing a tube.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Extreme Air Output

My 07, has the the bottom blow-off and a QD on the side. On the front of the tank is a fiting, which has wires running towards the front of the van. I think this is a pressure switch which will shut off the compressor when it reaches a set pressure. I have no idea what this set pressure might be. I ran the compressor about 7 minutes and it continued to run so I shut it off fearing overheating. How long would you expect it to take to reach the shut-off point.
Thanks for the tip on the flow-thru vs/ non flow-thru chuck. I did find out mine is not flow-thru, so after I redo the plumbing to come directly from the compressor I will have the flow thru.
Am I assuming right that this tank fitting with wires would be a pressure switch and no pressure limiting switch on the compressor, thus the need for the flow-thru chuck?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #6

That sounds right to me. My garage compressor has a switch that is on-below and off-above, so the compressor won't start running immediately. I think it's 70/120lbs but I can't recall for sure. It's setable, but it's also a large floor unit. It might take awhile to competely fill the tank and if you've got small leaks it will run occasionally to top the tank off.