Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #1

Extremeaire Compressor not working

Hi there,
I am getting ready to drive down to Mexico tomorrow and my compressor is not working! I flipped the switch on to test it and it didn't do anything. I am not sure how compressors works but could there be an easy fix? Like a fuse? Or a switch? It has been extremely cold (-20), could the compressor be frozen?
Paolo

Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

Paolo

There is a circut breaker on the passenger side frame rail on my 06. After my extended storage last year it tripped. It is a bit of a strange one, when it is tripped a small arm will pop out of the right side of the breaker. To reset just push the arm back in. I would also let the compressor warm up if the breaker is not tripped. I spent 14 years in Wyoming, and that kind of cold can break just about anything.

Steve
Old 12-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #3

Hi Steve,
Do you know if the breaker is the same one for the Van battery (versus the house battery)?
Paolo
Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #4

Paolo

I think it will depend on which battery you have. I've got a 4D hanging off the back. When this compressor breaker tripped everything else worked fine. After Peter steered me in the right direction and I reset the breaker it fired right up. Look on the frame rail for that breaker and let me know what you see. I would go out and look at my van for you, but it is at SMBW getting a few warranty repairs.

Steve
Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #5

Steve you saved my butt! I found the breaker and it works! Thanks a bunch. Have a great Christmas.
Paolo
Old 12-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #6

Paolo,

Glad to help out, hope you have a great trip. I look forward to reading your trip report, Mexico is on the list for us as well.

Steve
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #7

For some reason my Extreme Aire compressor in my 2004 Sportsmobile was installed with both a circuit breaker and a fuse. The fuse (65A) likes to blow all the time, so I finally just stuck a thick wire in there to bypass it.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho
I would like to add that when I first took delivery of my SM last April, the radio didn't work and in removing it I must have inadvertently sparked some of the wires connected to the toggle switch under the dash which activates the compressor. Sure enough the funny little double twin blade fuse had fried and after paying ten times what they are worth at the Nasty Mammoth Mountain Chevron and solidly connecting the radio I was a happy camper again.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #9

I just got back from a week in Baja, and my Extreme Aire pump has a new issue now -- about a third of the time, I hear the "clunk" of the solenoid kicking, but the pump doesn't want to start. If I then flip the switch on/off a few times, it eventually starts.

Same problem occurs when the pump is supposed to automatically start when the tank pressure falls below the "full" threshold.

It does seem pretty remarkable to me that the Extreme Aire pump is supposed to survive being exposed to all the elements down there (dust, mud, sand, salt spray, and occasional immersion) bolted to the bottom of the van.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

Geoffff, any resolution to your problem? I think I am having the same issue. I can hear a “click” when i hit the toggle in the cab but that’s it. I tried resetting the breaker (which was not tripped by the way) but that didn’t help. My next step will be the fuse... if I can locate it that is. I’m not sure where it’s at.
Montero24 is offline   Reply With Quote