Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Factory GVWR too low?

Hi;

I am setting up to receive an essentially free 1982 SMB EB on a Dodge B250 chassis.

If you would kindly review the attached photo you will note the VIN sticker with a listed GVWR of 6400 lbs.

The last owner received the following list of options with the SMB from the original owner:

1982 Dodge Ram Van B250
Vin: 2B6HB23R3CKxxxxxx

Info on a note given to us by the original owner:
"318 V8 Engine - 36 Gal Gas tank
29.71 gallon fresh water tank (11x12x52)
30.03 gal black water tank (12x17x34)
24.94 gall gray water tanks (2tanks at 6x15x32 ea)

Takes 6qts oil and a PH 43 filter"

Question:

How the heck can a(n) SMB be built on such a low GVWR? 850lbs of liquid capacity to start! 5500 lb min base van and no room for fuel or food? Cabinets? Batteries? Penthouse roof?

I called SMB east and they say the unit would have arrived complete from Dodge and therefore the GVWR would not have been altered by them. There is however another washed out sticker (attached) that shows someone else (SMB?) manufactured the vehicle.

I don't want to get pulled over and hassled for such a low weight. New axles are fine, but convincing the authorities that I have appropriately raised the GVWR is going to be impossible.

Your input and learned thoughts much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Attached Thumbnails
Chrysler Corp VIN sticker- VIN obscured.JPG   SMB manufacturer sticker.jpg  

Old 08-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

Re: Factory GVWR too low?

It is not uncommon for an SMB to be built up to the GVWR. Remember, they are custom vehicles built to the buyer's specs, not production vehicles built to standard. Maybe you have to blame the original owner. Although, I'm sure he didn't know about the weight issues until time of delivery.

Personallly, I think all SMB's should be built on a 350 or 3500 chassis. Since many are not, and those that are maybe heavily loaded, some SMB's are running well above the GVWR.

Not good. And not my van. When I had S-K add the 4wd they also added better brakes and springs and shocks and rerated the GVWR so I have enough margin to stay legal, even when towing a trailer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Mike;

I don't understand how S-K has the authority to re-rate the GVWR on a vehicle they did not build, but merely modified.

Thoughts?

Gavin

Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Upfitters frequently change factory specs. I don't really know what kind of certification they need to do that. As I recall, Craig was an engineer (what kind?) and could recertify some specs. I believe the S-K serial plate lists them as a remanufacturer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

The Dodge vans are unibody, therefore have lower capacities. THe last Ram Van 3500 had the same GVWR as the current E150 van!

Besides the chassis limitations, the running gear is also not heavy duty.

While it is not uncommon for some up-fitters to up-rate the E350, the extended version shares the same frame specs as the 14,050 GVWR cutaway chassis, and Ford publishes the ratings for each chassis component on the van (springs, axles, brakes etc). Dodge never released that kind of technical data, so an upfitter would have to pretty much reverse engineer the vehicle before they could up-rate it.

The 2nd placard is the SMB final body upfitter sticker, because it was probably shipped as an incomplete vehicle. That is not the correct format for an uprated GVWR if that is what you are looking for.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Hi;

My research indicates you could get a B350 in the early 80's with a GVWR of 9000 lbs. I'll bet the floor pan and unibody sheet metal on the extended 250 is no different from the extended 350's. Maybe some reinforcing from rear spring perches was added but I doubt it. The front calipers and rear brake sizes are the same too. Heavier rotors and drums yes, but the contact area is the same. All this points to axle capacity and spring capacity as being the big differences between the weight ratings.

The conversion van business in the 90's used incomplete chassis with a sticker from Chrysler stating "incomplete". The GVWR sticker was put on by the conversion company who was then considered the manufacturer although it still registered as a Dodge.

If that process applied to SMB back in 1982 this van would not have the Chrysler sticker indicating GVWR.

What really galls me here is the lack of any room to load this van legally, and short of getting someone to uprate it with a four wheel drive conversion, leaving me no other option but to strip it and transfer everything into a better chassis. Damn SMB should have never converted this unit.

Rant over.

Regards,

Gavin

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #7

Factory GVWR too low?

The sticker states "P" rated tires on 15" rims. The 9K GVW version likely had LT tires on 16" rims.
If you can verify GAWR and wheel capacity independent of tire size, then you could buy "LT" tires in 15" and possibly raise your GVW. P rated tires are a favorite method of improving ride quality, used by conversion companies.