Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Re: Family with 3 little kiddos in Sportsmobile?

TBUNCH
I feel your pain. I travel with 3 kids and up to 7 bikes at times in our Sportsmobile sprinter with penthouse. We all sleep great in it (though we have to put the bikes out at night).

We started with a crew model and penthouse which is comfortable while driving and sleeping. My wife and I sleep up high and the kids all sleep on a platform in the back.

There is little room for much else. You could easily put a porta potty under the rear sleeping platform. We store clothes under the forward part of the sleeping platform and have a kitchen on sliders in the back For showers we use a shower tent with a stove top heated water system or solar shower.

The size of the small Sprinter is great. We can still go through drive-throughs and have no problems with typical height and length restrictions. We had no problems with the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier park for example.

It is a compromise on the bathroom/shower part but the mobility makes up for the inconvenience for us. How and where you stay in the van makes a huge difference.

canoe4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe4me
TBUNCH
I feel your pain. I travel with 3 kids and up to 7 bikes at times in our Sportsmobile sprinter with penthouse. We all sleep great in it (though we have to put the bikes out at night).
I love this!!!!!!

So we are not the only crazy ones
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
TBUNCH
The size of the small Sprinter is great. We can still go through drive-throughs and have no problems with typical height and length restrictions. We had no problems with the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier park for example.
We took Class B on that road and hit the mirrors with some other one in one of the turns. Ha ha
Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer

I didn't think 3 child seats would fit on the one bench seat. If they can fit, then the 50 would be a good solution.
3 Toddler seats will not fit on a '50 bench. We have two Britax seats and when Momma has to go back and pacify someone, it's a squeeze and she's skinny. Also the lap belts suck, especially for holding carseats.

My neighbors have a homebrew van with a bench / bed seat right behind the drivers seats. It has 3 shoulder belts and they can fit 3 seats on it, but while that configuration is awesome for road and sleeping mode, it wrecks the awake-and-camping area inside the van.

Re: Shower inside- There's always the old "stand in the rear underfloor storage box with a curtain around you" trick to avoid consuming dedicated space. Do that once and showering outside in a tent won't seem that bad.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #15

Hmm - My Husbands swears they will. We have 2 boosters and one regular car seat. They do fit in his Durango which is 51" across. According to the specs the seat should be 54". Seat belts - there is system we can by to bypass the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
Quote:

I didn't think 3 child seats would fit on the one bench seat. If they can fit, then the 50 would be a good solution.
3 Toddler seats will not fit on a '50 bench. We have two Britax seats and when Momma has to go back and pacify someone, it's a squeeze and she's skinny. Also the lap belts suck, especially for holding carseats.

My neighbors have a homebrew van with a bench / bed seat right behind the drivers seats. It has 3 shoulder belts and they can fit 3 seats on it, but while that configuration is awesome for road and sleeping mode, it wrecks the awake-and-camping area inside the van.

Re: Shower inside- There's always the old "stand in the rear underfloor storage box with a curtain around you" trick to avoid consuming dedicated space. Do that once and showering outside in a tent won't seem that bad.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #16

I think I have been successfully talked into the OUTSIDE SHOWER.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #17

I have a regular car seat in the middle with two boosters on either side in my regular 3 person crew bench. I did shop for a narrow car seat that was a little more expensive than the Walmart stuff but it works just fine. I cannot remember the brand but here is the best photo I have of it.

No shots of the outdoor shower in action though...
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a regular car seat in the middle with two boosters on either side in my regular 3 person crew bench. I did shop for a narrow car seat that was a little more expensive than the Walmart stuff but it works just fine. I cannot remember the brand but here is the best photo I have of it.

No shots of the outdoor shower in action though...

Darn it and I hope to see some showering. Kidding

Yes we have some narrow ones that we got because we want the kiddos to seat in my husbands Durrango in the second row.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #19

Diono is the brand that makes narrow car seats.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
You'll definitely want the extended body van with your 3 kids. Its definitely possible, but a hurdle you might face is how many of your children will need to be in a forward facing seat (child seat or booster). If none of them need to be in a forward facing seat, then you have a lot of options.
I'm confused. How is this a problem if you're in e.g. an EB50 layout? It only has one shoulder belt though (and two lap belts).

I am pretty sure they'd fit on a 50 bench. I think the issue would be if you're using a booster with a back, that there is only one shoulder belt (RH side). The other two are lap belts. They'd be ok with a booster bottom or to secure a child seat.

I've had 3 adults sit on my bench....

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote