Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #11

Garage
Okay --- here ya go. Took some pictures.
Now that I've studied it again --- I don't think it would be a great idea to attempt to create access.

It would require some artful (and significant) surgery to remove enough material to gain access to that access hole for the spare-tire-winch crank. It's possible, but it would be more than simply drilling a hole, it would require making a c-shaped cut (and notching) a bunch of material on the forward edge of the rack plate surface. If you removed too much, you'd probably compromise the strength of the area where the latch is mounted however.

(For reference/orientation: In one pic, the van's key is placed on the Aluminess structure such that it's pointing at the just-barely-visible rubber gasket that covers the jack-winch access hole.)

It's an unfortunate oversight IMHO that the rack wasn't designed to maintain access to that jack-winch access point. Having two spares along would be very desirable on many overlanding routes.

**** Conceivably.....you could possibly mount the rack (and your rear bumper) as low as possible (since the bumper and Aluminess bolt holes are vertically slotted) and this MIGHT get you enough wiggle room on top of the Aluminess structure to still get access to the jack slot.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2158.jpg   IMG_2159.jpg   IMG_2160.jpg   IMG_2161.jpg  

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
**** Conceivably.....you could possibly mount the rack (and your rear bumper) as low as possible (since the bumper and Aluminess bolt holes are vertically slotted) and this MIGHT get you enough wiggle room on top of the Aluminess structure to still get access to the jack slot.
You are right. This is how my bumper/rack is setup. With the tire rack and bumper at the bottom of the mounting slots there is just enough room to access the hole to raise and lower the spare tire. However, you cannot use the tire iron. It is to thick. The crank handle for the factory jack will fit in the hole and engage the mechanism. It is a bit awkward to use due to the length but it works.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #13

Thank you MountainBikeRoamer for saving me some $$$. Aluminless should have admitted to this design flaw when I contacted them.
Fordx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordx2 View Post
Thank you MountainBikeRoamer for saving me some $$$. Aluminless should have admitted to this design flaw when I contacted them.
Hey Fordx2, no problem!

It's definitely worth noting and factoring in that Larrie did indeed confirm you CAN get the Aluminess tire carrier situated to allow access to the tire-winch access hole if you position your bumper (and the tire carrier) at the bottom of the slotted holes they bolt to the van with.

If you don't care about your bumper sitting a bit lower (it would only be about 1" lower, I'm guessing) then you'd be good to go.

Overall, despite the "make it work right" fitment issues like this....most members on here probably still feel that there really is no better spare-tire-carrier option for the money than these Aluminess units.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #15

..The rear bumper mounts allow a fair bit of vertical positioning of the bumper.....with the bumper bolted at it's lowest position, it may not be too bad.......guessing a little here.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #16

Finely got photos taken.

Here is the Aluminess spare tire carrier and the stock bumper. You can see that the tire iron will no longer fit into the hole to lower the spare tire.

Here you can see that the factory jackhandle fits in the hole. The flat end is the right shape to turn the crank that raises and lowers the spare tire.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #17

It looks like this is figured out, but if needed, I would have no problem in grinding a little more clearance as needed which is exactly what I did.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

Thank you larrie. We are just back from a +3 week trip to Nova Scotia. It is common to see European rigs in eastern Canada. Halifax is probably a popular port for shipping to/from Canada. I didn't see any manufacture ID on this Swiss rig parked in Kejimkujik National Park and the owner wasn't around to answer questions.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0607 (2).jpg  
Fordx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #19

You can also crawl under there and turn the spindle by hand.
Also, making an access hole in the carrier shouldn’t be a problem.
BUFFALO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #20

I removed a small amount of material to allow access to the crank hole, it was quick and easy.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote