Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #11

I use a two stage bottle jack from powerteam.com It works great. I got the model # 9011x. It is an 11 ton jack that has a screw top for more extension. The price tag was steep but it's not made in China.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #12

I'm curious and definitely somewhat ignorant when it comes to this. Why aren't you all just using the stock Ford bottle jack along with wood base block(s) when necessary? I understand the use/benefits of the Hi-Lift, but I don't understand the benefits of getting a new bottle jack, unless it is just easier to use. I just used the stock bottle jack a couple weekends ago to rotate the tires on our SMB. Yes, the crank is little cludgey but it also worked fine. Thanks for the advice as always.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #13

Our 2001 van didn't come with a bottle jack, just a scissor jack...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #14

Garage
I bought a hydraulic/air jack from Northern Tool that runs off my Extreme Air Magnum compressor. I also carry a jackstand for stability and range.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #15

Jack and Accessories

I have found that the single most useful Jack is the Hi lift and and its accessories . It makes a plausible come along as well as means of bending sheet metal , moving large rocks and logs and still functions as a reliable Jack . When I pack for an adventure I carry a 20 ton 18" extendable as well as the 60" Hi Lift Extreme . I purchased one of the new models of the ARB Inflatable jacks and gave it to my youngest son for his CJ 5 as it was severely stressed when we tried it in soft sand with our 11,000 pound SportsMobile . If you purchase the optional base for the Hi Lift you will find that it will work nicely in soft substrates with the bottle jack that you have chosen .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #16

I too finally decided upon a two stage bottle jack. Got a six ton (because I'm either totally paranoid or rather bad at math) for $31.99 from Northern Tool. PN 144325

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rch=144325

Doesn't have either the knurls on the top (boo) or the screw extension (boo), so I'd pay more for those... although probably not $70 more... Will probably add a welded U-piece on top as some have noted, and I like the aluminum plate idea, possibly with some bolts to hold them together?

Used it this week to rotate tires. Not because that makes sense, but because I though a little practice would be good. Since I was so paranoid of knocking the van off the jack, I started to jack the axle just barely (tire still on the ground), then loosened the bolts but left them on, then jacked the van, then took them off so that I wasn't wrenching on them with the van up in the air.

Yes, jack stands would have been good, but the 6 ton jack stands I got were too high... Damn.

Also got a good deal on a torque wrench... item #558266, $45.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #17

Well, as luck would have it.....I had my first blow out this weekend on a set of tires that was less than a week old. Figures. I hadn't even had a chance to put my "jack plan" into action. Must have hit a bolt or a BIG nail because the hole it made was big.

Thankfully, my GF has AAA so we called them really only for the use of his floor jack.

It will be interesting to many that even with the floor jack, we could not jack up the van until we filled the tire (even though it was leaking quickly) and then stuck the floor jack under the axle and started a'pumpin'.

With the tire flat, there wasn't enough clearance under the van to be able to raise the handle high enough to get purchase. Once we raised the van slightly by airing the tire up we had enough clearance.

Its also worth noting that with his floor jack, it took BOTH of our combined weights (estimated at 500+lbs) to get the thing jacked up high enough to change out the tire and even then, I had to air down the spare. I tried to see what his floor jack was rated but couldn't get that. I suspect 6 tons.

This was on FLAT ground on asphalt!!! A very enlightening experience to say the least.

I think I'm going to stick with the 2-stage bottle jack idea but I'm certainly going to give it a test run in the driveway to get the process down pat. I ended up plugging the blown tire just in case I got another flat in the backcountry but I have to say I don't think the stock Ford little cranker-jack was up to the task if I needed it.

If you have a situation where you can't air up the flat tire (massive blow out or off the bead) then it might get a little difficult.

Of course, all of this was in 60mph winds near Mojave, CA. Let me tell you something, when the tire goes flat on these things (especially heavy versions like mine) the whole experience gets pretty squirrelly pretty quick. A sphincter-tightener for sure.

Thanks to all for their input. Hopefully I won't have to report that I had to put my plan in action again......
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #18

<Duplicate removed by submitter>
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #19

Sorry to hear that Bryanlaws. It is never fun. I guess the crank on the stock Ford bottle jack has a purpose since you just have to turn it. Even with a full flat, I think it would work. It took minimal effort for me to lift the van with this jack and crank method. Until something happens that compels me to change this, I will stick with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #20

Well, I think my search for the perfect jack is over. While walking through Pep Boys/AutoZone the other day looking for a 2-stage bottle jack I came across this nice little item (see pic/link). It was about $30 and I thought I would give it a try since it had a lot of the things that I wanted in a jack system for the van: Wide-Stable Base, Good connection between jack and axle, jack stand capability, Adj top, and long stroke for the big tires.

Since I just got my replacement tire back for the one that blew the other day I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to try it out. So I aired down a tire all the way to FLAT. Stuck the jack under there and it worked PERFECTLY. With one hand (even one finger) was I able to jack the right rear up and off the ground and change the tire. Since the jack has a nice little "Jack Stand" feature where it automatically locks it off, I felt a lot more comfortable around/under the back of the van. Also, since the connection from the jack to the axle is so much more solid, it makes me feel like I don't have to be on totally flat, even ground to get the thing seated on the axle.

For those that might still be looking, this thing seems like a winner. I wouldn't say the manufacturer has the absolute highest reputation (don't lick the paint) but it certainly seemed to do the job from full flat to spare installed with virtually no muss or fuss. In an ideal world they would make a 6-ton model but it doesn't look like they do and really, this thing threw the van in the air with WAY less trouble than the AAA-guys floor jack.

Hope this helps and take it from someone that knows....don't wait too long to sort out your jack situation or you might find yourself up the creek.

http://www.alltradetools.com